Aeroloop model retriever

kc

My club has decided to buy a model retriever - a sort of long fishing pole for getting models out of trees. Only a few years ago they were advertised by Aeroloop and a website was advertised in BMFA News. But the website on longer works. Anybody know if the Aeroloop or similar item specially for model aircraft is available now?

Advert

I have no idea what it's made of. I replaced our club's broken one so I could see it's construction. It has many telescopic sections starting at about 50mm diameter or more finishing up at about 8mm. It was the last section which broke (my fault). Examining the broken section it looked like it was made from wood and looked like a black/brown grain very thin and tubular. Thinking about it, the wall has to be thin because at 7 metres extended it would be too heavy to manage if it was any thicker. The pole at 7 metres is quite manageable. It has a nylon loop on the end, to loop around the model. The end section must be treated with respect as it's extremely bendy. My problem was that I got the nylon loop jammed between the tree branches and the model and couldn't release it to free it. After endless trying I used too much force, bent it too much, and it snapped. My plane was 40 feet high and had to use a telescopic extension from home gaffa-taped to the bottom of the Aeroloop to reach the plane. I did manage to retrieve the plane though so success.

Because of it being so thin at the top end, the manufacturers recommend a horizontal lift of 3 lb max only, but more if lowered down vertically.

Would I recommend one? Definitely

Roger

Posted by kc on 07/01/2019 14:24:11:

Thanks for your comments, my club has just purchased an Areroloop ( from Sussex Models) and the members look forward to never needing to use it! But if we do it's there.........

Yes we bought one on the premise it would never be needed, unfortunately it has been used a few times. We just need something to stop the trees from jumping in front of models....................

• 10 months later...