club drone ban

rcaddict

Posted by supertigrefan on 09/01/2019 11:40:28:
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 08/01/2019 23:50:49:

Clearly the only way forward is to ban everything that isn't an under-powered diesel single channel cabin monoplane made from tissue and balsa and designed in the 60s.

So bored with these threads now. They're just an excuse for forumites to shout uninformed pompous certainties at each other.

Will a mod please lock this thread? You guys must be sick of policing threads like these.

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 08/01/2019 23:51:58

Lock it because you're bored with reading it?

What next?

How about adding something to the question rather than trying to police the thread to your own satisfaction?

Doesn't the 'right to express a view' include the possibility that the view in question is that 'this thread is currently detracting from the overall quality of the modelflying forum'?

Advert

Posted by supertigrefan on 09/01/2019 12:46:40:

Asking a mod to close a thread because you're bored with reading other peoples' comments isn't a view, it's a request to prevent others from expressing their views. That sounds more like oppression to me...

That's not quite what I said. I was pointing out that the existence of pointless threads detracts from other, more useful threads. I'm thinking of the overall legacy of this forum as a source of information, inspiration and a record of achievement.

Asking a mod to close a thread isn't problem in itself, as long as it's polite, and in any case (as has happened here), the mod always has the right to politely decline to do so.

I can think of many examples where the mod has obliged (with gratitude for bringing it to their attention).

Posted by supertigrefan on 09/01/2019 11:40:28:
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 08/01/2019 23:50:49:

Clearly the only way forward is to ban everything that isn't an under-powered diesel single channel cabin monoplane made from tissue and balsa and designed in the 60s.

So bored with these threads now. They're just an excuse for forumites to shout uninformed pompous certainties at each other.

Will a mod please lock this thread? You guys must be sick of policing threads like these.

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 08/01/2019 23:51:58

Lock it because you're bored with reading it?

What next?

How about adding something to the question rather than trying to police the thread to your own satisfaction?

Edited By supertigrefan on 09/01/2019 11:44:58

Totally missing my point, which was an attempt to highlight the following: Threads of this nature contribute nothing to the forum other than spurious rehashings of why X should be banned, or why a model plane is not a drone, or why-oh-why won't the authorities do something about the drone menace, or bemoaning the lack of fresh blood into the hobby. Thus: Boring. Dull. Repetitive. Angry. Pompous. Prejudiced. Refusal to accept the facts.

I realise this is an emotive issue, although I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just easy to be pompously shouty in the comforting bubble of the www and not worry about the consequences of airing one's prejudices.

Brighouse MAC, have not banned Drones, we have just never allowed them or helicopters at the field. opinion is that fixed wing and rota do not mix well, and i agree, seen it first hand. We have a very small field we have to share it with the sheep, and now two horses. from my experience helli pilots stand very close to their crafts,too close in my opinion, and do lots of hovering, lots more chance of mid air crashes. we have 50 members, it`s stayed the same give or take a few for years, we have two members that fly drones, but joined other clubs as well as Brighouse to fly them, We are never short of members, and when we get asked about drones, we just say, we are fixed wing only. we also do not have 2 strokes, we have a house just a 100 yds away, I do NOT have anything against drones as they do not bother me at all. But if i had missed my xmas holiday because of the Gatwick farce, i would hate them, and want to kill the person/persons that did that, So if there was a drone at Gatwick, then the fool has done nothing but harm to a hobby that they like and will kill. The government will clamp down on us all, make us jump through hoops, and make us pay for it. So i and others will end up hating drones and the people that fly them, all because of a very very small number of people,

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 09/01/2019 16:01:27

At Marston Green we allow anything that flies moderately quietly except freeflight - we're too close to the airport for that! We only restrict mixed flying on Sundays when there are more bodies present, then rotary wing (not just helicopters!) get 15 minutes in every hour to themselves. From what I've seen MRs are easier to integrate than conventional helicopters which do tend to fly close in over the takeoff area. MRs if anything tend to be flown in much the same way as fixed wing other than the VTOL bit as they tend to explore the extent of the allowed area at quite modest altitudes. Even control line gets a slot when Ken brings his yoyos to the field.

As for this debate, in my view as long as members are contributing in a civilised manner it then it's earned it's place on this site. Not interested - don't read it. Simples.

The fact that banning drones at club level (in clubs that would otherwise allow them), is being considered just goes to show how legislation is penalising the wrong people. Completely sympathise with those considering it and understand the reasons but it so wrong that such a situation should arise.

Ban X Y or Z, never works in my head, I can see with some fields, due to size or locations it might be the way to go, otherwise it's people that can't work together, not what's being flown, a selfish flyer with a aeroplane causes just as much grief at the field, as one with an heli/mr/etc.

Despite popular myths, most of us have our faults/quirks, give over pigeon holing folks.

Model rc planes,as far as i am aware,are not usually used for the use of dropping off drugs in prison grounds,spying through peoples windows.BUT DRONES ARE,and may possibly be used for terrorism acts,and who knows what else,they are good for nature documentaries and other tv uses,thats my thoughts on the subject,Happy landings.planes that is!!

Model rc planes,as far as i am aware,are not usually used for the use of dropping off drugs in prison grounds,spying through peoples windows.BUT DRONES ARE,and may possibly be used for terrorism acts,and who knows what else...…..

So I believe we need to carefully define what is meant by drone.. I assume most of us in this context are referring to cross shaped things with 4 or more rotors. The term drone has been in use long before they came on the scene.

Maybe we all fly drones after all.

We must be careful what we wish for.

I can see no reason at all why most of the aircraft that we fly couldn't be programmed to take off fly to a pre-programmed waypoint and then crash land carrying their payload of drugs or explosives etc. The "pilot could by a computer anywhere in the world. not some muppet standing freezing watching and controlling the model like I was yesterday

Sonny correctly used the words not usually, quite so, but the technology exists and there are those clever enough and evil enough to use it.

The concern of the above ramble of mine is that bearing this in mind the powers that be may consider this in creating legislation which will of course have the knock of effect to all branches of the hobby. For us to shun one legitimate branch of the hobby may have no effect at all.

Edited as I realise I attributed a quote to the wrong person  Apologies to those concerned

Edited By gangster on 09/01/2019 20:11:55