Design & Build Sport Twin

Nigel R

Right, now that's dry, time to cut the wing saddle out. Template is stuck down in the appropriate place (LE above TE by 1/16" to give a half degree of positive incidence):

20190522_221852.jpg

The shape is marked with a pin and a lot of holes.

Cutout is roughed out with a dremel sanding drum, then a curved sanding block.

After I did one side, I re-used the pegs (previously used to keep doublers and sides aligned) and transferred the wing section to the second side, separated them, rough cut the second side, put them back together and finished off the sanding.

20190522_224735.jpg

The saddle is now a good copy of the wing seciton. I cut it oversize by 3/32" or thereabouts, to allow for the wing joining bandage. Any gaps will end up filled by silicone sealant, after covering.

I have a bit more prep left to go with the sides - longerons, doublers around the tailplane saddle, a few uprights.

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

And I made the main formers for the fuselage and did a test fit in the jig:

20190601_080539.jpg

at this point I've also added the longerons and some uprights, and some 3/8 square to reinforce the tailplane saddle. 

Edited By Nigel R on 01/06/2019 12:10:54

Well instead of twiddling my thumbs waiting on the postman I got on with glueing up the fuselage:

20190602_225416.jpg

A jig is one of the best workshop tools you can buy or make, I think.

Yes, the longerons are meant to be stickup up past the top of the sides. They do that in order to give something for the rear decking sheet to land on.

Annoyingly, the 1/8 ply former at the front of the wing has warped. The top half has gone wonky. Never mind. Hopefully no one will notice! The bottom 1" of that former has been reinforced with a strip of 1/16 ply to beef up the dowel hole, and that bit at least is nice and square.

The rear of the fuselage is like most of my builds, which means it gets a few crossmembers, cut and fit from 3/16 or 1/4 scrap, while it is sat in the jig. I don't know if they really add much strength by the time it is all finished with decking and sheeting and all that, but they certainly help hold things in place during the build process (i.e. keeping the fuselage sides upright and parallel and so forth).

While I was in and around the tail end, I put in the tailpost block, a lump of 3/8 soft sheet sanded down to size and stuck with aliphatic (like the main formers).

20190602_225426.jpg

All good so far (apart from that warped former). Lots to do yet but happy with the last weeks progress through the job list.

Edited By Nigel R on 03/06/2019 09:44:25

I think I am going to end up with the neck of the tank in line with, and the fuel lines coming through, the centre of the mount. Nothing particularly unusual. With the engine upright it is a bit lower than optimal however there isn't much I can do about that. The nacelles are not very tall!

I've been doing some engine install jobs this week. First, getting the mounts on the firewall:

20190614_212420.jpg

The small ply discs are only there to make the firewall thicker so the tee nuts do not poke through to the other side. I turned then up on a drill.

Yes, the holes are meant to be in different places on the two firewalls... The starboard engine has right thrust.

I also drilled the fuel line holes. I'm intending on using standard tanks with a two line setup. Some other jobs were done too, drilling the engine mount and soldering a threaded extension on to a couple of lengths of wire cable ready for setting up the throttle run.

I also got the nacelles together:

20190617_222956.jpg

It is going to be quite cramped in there. If I'm honest I wish I'd made then a bit longer. If it comes to it the First dodge will be to get a pair of slec square tasks or sullivan slant tasks. If I still can't fit everything in satisfactorily I can always make more, I guess.

Thank you Denis smiley

I believe the tailplane will be strong enough. It's a fully sheeted structure, with several 'spar' members; solid sheet elevator. You are right it is not the place for a flyweight structure, the model will not be short of power when done.

There is a long way to go yet! I reckon I am about half done. Although at this point the whole thing is really starting to take shape.

Some slow but useful progress this week.

I have mainly been working the throttle links. The bowden cables are cut to length and made up with a threaded adaptor soldered on, the outer sheath is in place, appropriately supported with a few balsa blocks near the servo and both installs have been tested for full and free movement. I've gone with ball joints at the engine end of things and those screw on type links at the servo end. smiley

I decided at this point that I wasn't going to rebuild the nacelles, but didn't like how the bottle tanks were fitting, so I bought my way out of the problem with two 6oz SLEC maxi tanks, which result in enough clearance for the servos to operate freely, and. allow me to completely surround the tanks with a layer of foam - which is a much better deal than I would have got using the standard bottle tanks. Lesson learned, don't skimp on the space for the gear to be installed in (should have known better, if I'm honest sad). Another couple of inches in length would have made for plenty of space.

The second whoops of the week was the discovery that the starboard nacelle, with offset for right thrust, would not have clearance between the silencer and the side of the nacelle. I would have to cut into the corner of the firewall to clear the silencer. sad I guess I could have gone the woodwork route, but this was another credit card solution - Just Engines came up with the goods here (and very quickly - always good service from them yes) in the shape of a pair of 3/4" extensions, which gets me a reasonable clearance without hacking the woodwork about.

Not sure how I could have easily avoided this (I suppose the engines could have gone in sidewinder, but I wanted them upright for ease of starting - and anyway but the time I'd noticed I'd already done the firewalls).

After spending my out of those problems, the last bit of the week's workshop time was spent on more straightforward matters - getting the main part of the 3/8 sheet top on the nacelles and stuffing in a load of tri stock reinforcement. Just like the fuselage, these will soon be in for a dose of razor plane and sanding block...

20190622_213105.jpg

The tail end of the nacelles will also get some 3/8 sheet. Inside, tri stock everywhere:

20190623_225323.jpg

Next job - two cowlings to come up with. It'll be thick sheet and tri stock again - nothing unusual planned there.

I just hope I've bought enough thick sheet...frown

Depending on the sizes you might be able to 'vac form' your own cowls. All you need to do is make one wooden cowl plug from as much solid material as you can muster. Then cut the bottom off a 2l drinks bottle, shove your plug inside and hit it with a heat gun. The plastic bottle will shrink nicely around your plug and once you cut it free you can use it again for cowl no2.

If you are looking for a 100% perfect finish then this probably wont do, but if you want quick cheap and functional then it might be worth a shot.

Made a started on some cowling. First job, cut some noserings (turned on a drill), and then sort out the cutouts in the plastic spinners. As there were four cutouts I made a sanding tool from some scrap balsa shaped to the cutout I needed and just started scraping away at the spinner until I had four identical cutouts.

When that was done I could get the engines bolted in, with the nosering stuck to the spinner. I borrowed an idea from one of Pete M's build blogs - use some scrap 1/8 between the spinner the nosering, the nosering is held in correct position.

I've only got as far as the side pieces here (3/8 sheet):

20190626_232427.jpg

20190626_232451.jpg

That looks decidedly odd with the perspective, but the motor on the left is dead ahead no rightthrust!

Anyway. Now the sides are in (and it took a while to fettle them in to position) the bottom can go on, at which point everything should be nice and solid, and I can remove the motor and put some triangular stock in the corners and get the top block on.

Then time for some more carve and sand yes

20190628_223128.jpg

20190628_232502.jpg

20190629_110354.jpg

20190629_114920.jpg

Excuse the umbrella growing out of the port wing!

Got a good chunk of the block carve and sand exercise done. It's surprisingly hard work especially in the heat today! I will probably put the nacelles to one side now and get the nose on the main fuselage up to a similar point.