Design & Build Sport Twin

Nigel R

Had a great day last week, got a few flights in and really enjoying it.

Starboard engine out on flight #1 - no drama, half throttle on the port kept her moving with little rudder correction needed. Came down for an easy landing. Bit of a non-event when it came smiley

The engine had also been reluctant to start both today and when she was maidened, and, this was the one that was a few hundred rpm down on the port engine. I assume that it was also the one that had shown signs of dying back in the air. After the engine out, a closer look revealed that the spraybar had come slightly loose and would have been leaking air, probably more when starting from cold than when hot and running, and making settings unreliable.

With that fixed, I moved to a different fuel as the last gallon had run out, so was due a quick retune, just a couple of clicks, and it was away again, this time no trouble with the motors, they were singing nicely, and confidence grew with the airframe, throwing it through a more enthusiastic pattern.

Lots of power to haul her through vertical eights, inverted maneuvers were all fine with engines running well throughout, in a vertical she pulled straight with no tendancy to fall off left or right, a quick dive test showed CG being fairly close to optimal. Upright snaps all good, knife edge needing a tickle more rudder, inverted snaps maybe a smidge more down elevator to get a clean start. But all in all, no major changes will be needed - so really happy with that. After that, some fast low passes to savour the beat, she moves quick at full chat.

I was lucky enough to have my dad along for a few in flight shots too.

Four flights went all too quick - happy pilot at home time.

smiley

Nice work!

I hope this thread helps put a lid on all the nonsense that is said about twins, especially the engine failure aspect. From the sound of it you did more or less everything right, keeping power on to maintain the speed and using the tall flappy bit at the back to keep it straight. After that it is, as you rightly say, a non event.