New Drone/Aerodrome Regulations - Is your club at risk?

Nigel Heather

Advert

AFAIK, depends on what type of aerodrome you are close to - ranging from a farm strip to an international airport. Not clear myself, but isn't it something to do with whether the 'airport' is registered or licenced?

Probably buried away in the reams of papers that we've had thrust at us over the months. I'm certain someone will be able to point straight to it.

My club is just outside the current 1km distance from a small aerodrome that provides maintenance to GA. Never had an issue with them in over 40 years. So why should that change now?

Edited By Cuban8 on 20/01/2019 10:33:15

The list is here.

After a little re-formatting...

Aberdeen/Dyce - EGPD
Alderney - EGJA
Andrewsfield - EGSL
Barra - EGPR
Barrow/Walney Island - EGNL
Bedford - EGBF
Belfast/Aldergrove - EGAA
Belfast/City - EGAC
Benbecula - EGPL
Biggin Hill - EGKB
Birmingham - EGBB
Blackbushe - EGLK
Blackpool - EGNH
Bournemouth - EGHH
Bristol - EGGD
Caernarfon - EGCK
Cambridge - EGSC
Campbeltown - EGEC
Cardiff - EGFF
Carlisle - EGNC
Chalgrove - EGLJ
Chichester/Goodwood - EGHR
Coll - EGEL
Colonsay - EGEY
Compton Abbas - EGHA
Coventry - EGBE
Cranfield - EGTC
Cumbernauld - EGPG
Denham - EGLD
Derby - EGBD
Doncaster Sheffield - EGCN
Dundee - EGPN
Dunkeswell - EGTU
Durham Tees Valley - EGNV
Duxford - EGSU
Earls Colne - EGSR
East Midlands - EGNX
Eday - EGED
Edinburgh - EGPH
Elstree - EGTR
Enniskillen/St Angelo - EGAB
Exeter - EGTE
Fair Isle - EGEF
Fairoaks - EGTF
Farnborough - EGLF
Fenland - EGCL
Glasgow - EGPF
Gloucestershire - EGBJ
Guernsey - EGJB
Haverfordwest - EGFE
Hawarden - EGNR
Humberside - EGNJ
Inverness - EGPE
Islay - EGPI
Isle of Man - EGNS
Jersey - EGJJ
Kemble - EGBP
Kirkwall - EGPA
Lands End - EGHC
Lashenden/Headcorn - EGKH
Leeds Bradford - EGNM
Leeds East - EGCM
Lee-on-Solent - EGHF
Leicester - EGBG
Lerwick/Tingwall - EGET
Liverpool - EGGP
London/City - EGLC
London Gatwick - EGKK
London Heathrow - EGLL
London Luton - EGGW
London Stansted - EGSS
Londonderry/Eglinton - EGAE
Lydd - EGMD
Manchester - EGCC
Manchester/Barton - EGCB
Netherthorpe - EGNF
Newcastle - EGNT
Newquay - EGHQ
Newtownards - EGAD
Northampton/Sywell - EGBK
Northolt - EGWU
North Ronaldsay - EGEN
Norwich - EGSH
Nottingham - EGBN
Oban - EGEO
Old Buckenham - EGSV
Old Sarum - EGLS
Old Warden - EGTH
Oxford - EGTK
Papa Westray - EGEP
Pembrey - EGFP
Perth/Scone - EGPT
Peterborough/Conington - EGSF
Prestwick - EGPK
Redhill - EGKR
Retford/Gamston - EGNE
Rochester - EGTO
Sanday - EGES
Sandtoft - EGCF
Scatsta - EGPM
Scilly Isles/St Mary’s - EGHE
Sherburn-in-Elmet - EGCJ
Shobdon - EGBS
Shoreham - EGKA
Sleap - EGCV
Southampton - EGHI
Southend - EGMC
Stapleford - EGSG
Stornoway - EGPO
Stronsay - EGER
Sumburgh - EGPB
Swansea - EGFH
Tatenhill - EGBM
Thruxton - EGHO
Tiree - EGPU
Warton - EGNO
Wellesbourne Mountford - EGBW
Welshpool - EGCW
Westray - EGEW
West Wales/Aberporth - EGFA
White Waltham - EGLM
Wick - EGPC
Wickenby - EGNW
Wolverhampton/Halfpenny Green - EGBO
Wycombe Air Park/Booker - EGTB
Yeovil/Westland - EGHG

Edited By John Privett on 20/01/2019 10:42:14

Thanks for the listing, very important info that needs to made obvious to all.

Old Warden! How will that work out for the club that uses the airfield and the modelling events - obviously, a workaround exists?

Have just found one club using the BMFA club finder, that is perilously close to having a problem.

Edited By Cuban8 on 20/01/2019 11:47:05

Posted by Steve J on 20/01/2019 10:33:08:

I am not sure where you are getting 3km from. It's the ATZ and rectangular extensions 5km from the ends of the runway(s).

Steve

Yes - currently the restriction (for < 7 kg) is 1 km from the airfield unless ATC permission is given.

The amendment is to extend that to the ATZ - defined as 2 nautical miles, or 4.6 km. Plus the extra 5 km x 1 km extension at the end of each runway.

See pages 11 and 12 here.

Posted by Steve J on 20/01/2019 10:33:08:

I am not sure where you are getting 3km from. It's the ATZ and rectangular extensions 5km from the ends of the runway(s).

Steve

I may be misunderstanding. But I thought that was the current regulation is that you can’t fly a ‘drone’ within 1km of an aerodrome boundary and that after the recent fun and games at Gatwick and Heathrow this is going to be extended to 3km. This is relating to the aerodrome boundary not just the runway.

My thinking is that well organised clubs that have been operating without problem for years my suddenly find that they can no longer operate legally in their current location.  My concern is that the legislation is really aimed at individuals up to no good or flying irresponsibly near major airports but the blanket regulations will cover many more aerodromes and therefore, could impact well run, long established and organised model clubs..

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 20/01/2019 11:59:25

Posted by Nigel Heather on 20/01/2019 11:49:54:

I may be misunderstanding. But I thought that was the current regulation is that you can’t fly a ‘drone’ within 1km of an aerodrome boundary and that after the recent fun and games at Gatwick and Heathrow this is going to be extended to 3km. This is relating to the aerodrome boundary not just the runway.

My thinking is that well organised clubs that have been operating without problem for years my suddenly find that they can no longer operate legally in their current location. My concern is that the legislation is really aimed at individuals up to no good or flying irresponsibly near major airports but the blanket regulations will cover many more aerodromes and therefore, could impact well run, long established and organised model clubs..

The current 1 km limit allows 'drones' to be flown with permission from ATC.

And for the new proposed wider limit the text on page 12 at section 2.6, just underneath the diagram that Steve reposted above, says;

"Drone fliers will continue to be able to apply for permission from air traffic control to fly within this zone"

So that appears to enable clubs to apply to fly in the new 4.6 km zone.

This report seems to confirm that it's not just kids who are being a menace.

"A man has been charged with flying a drone near Heathrow Airport on 24 December.

George Rusu is accused of using a drone on a field near the runway just days after a scare at Gatwick grounded more than 1,000 flights.

He has been charged with flying a "small unmanned aircraft without permission of air traffic control".

Mr Rusu, 38, from Hillingdon, will appear at Uxbridge Magistrates' Court on Tuesday.

The alleged incident happened just three days after Gatwick Airport fully reopened on December 21, following three days of chaos affecting about 140,000 passengers."

As for the OP's question, isn't this for flying without ATC approval? My club is roughly 4km to the side of the local international airport but we have standing ATC approval to fly with a 400' limit.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 20/01/2019 13:17:18:

This report seems to confirm that it's not just kids who are being a menace.

Let's not jump to conclusions - remember that poor couple near Gatwick who were hung, drawn and quartered by the Daily Mail and others, and hopefully have a big legal claim under way against the press...

But, should this person be found guilty, then I hope the biggest possible fine and maximum publicity will result, "pour décourager les autres."

Posted by Steve J on 20/01/2019 13:27:35:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 20/01/2019 13:17:18:

My club is roughly 4km to the side of the local international airport but we have standing ATC approval to fly with a 400' limit.

It would be difficult for them to refuse as, at the moment, you don't actually need their approval. Have they put you in their aerodrome AIP entry?

Steve

Oh yes, though we do got the occasional light plane or more likely heli overfly at 500'ish estimated. Even that looks bloomin low! Needless to say everyone heads for the deck when that happens just to be safe!

Posted by Steve J on 20/01/2019 12:07:22:
Posted by John Stainforth on 20/01/2019 12:04:22:

I, for one, am for the new regulations.

I, for one, think that they are completely pointless and are simply the government pandering to BALPA.

Steve

Oh! Shock! Horror! That we pilots of little model planes should pander to the wishes of professional pilots of full-size planes who have daily responsible for thousands of peoples lives!

Balpa just want to have something to be seen to be done now, rather than the legislative machinations of the D of T that has been going on in the background for some time. It has always been the case that you need permission from the local ATC unit to fly in an Aerodrome Traffic Zone, it is just that now the changes to the ANO make that abundantly clear with the threat of severe penalties for contravention. I doubt it will make any practical difference to model flying at Old Warden or Cosford etc. The legislation is to raise public awareness of what is obvious to all model flyers; don't fly near full sized aircraft!

I used to fly gliders from Mill Hill, which is just a mile from Shoreham airport. The hill is just under 300ft elevation whilst the airport is just 7ft AMSL. Consequently, aircraft on approach to land are very adjacent to the top of the hill when they made their approach to RW20. There was an unwritten rule amongst glider flyers not to fly above the top of the ridge for obvious reasons! I always thought it was all a bit 'casual' and sure enough, one day, a visiting French pilot collided with a foamy Zagi (not mine angel) after skimming across the crest of the hill cool. The Shoreham airport operator in the official incident report said that they 'weren't aware that model gliders flew from the hill' despite the fact that they have done so for the last 40 years on a daily basis when conditions allow! The moral of the story is to get your permission in writing and carry it with you, just incase the 'boys in blue' turn up.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 21/01/2019 08:11:11

A question. If my RC plane/drone(FPV drones and planes below 250gms are available) is below 250gms does all this apply? If it does apply to planes/drones below 250gms how far down/low in weight does it go? Could you be breaking the law by flying a paper plan too close to an airport?