Wing walkways

Tim Ballinger

I’ve been musing how to represent the non slip walkways on a wing that provide non slip pilot access. I felt sure I would find the answer to what other folks use somewhere on the forum but not spotted it yet. I was thinking of using a strip of coarse wet and dry. Not looking for anything fine scale more in the realms of long way standoff scale !

Can anyone give me a better idea?

Tim

Advert

Posted by Tim Ballinger on 29/01/2019 11:24:00:

I’ve been musing how to represent the non slip walkways on a wing that provide non slip pilot access. I felt sure I would find the answer to what other folks use somewhere on the forum but not spotted it yet. I was thinking of using a strip of coarse wet and dry. Not looking for anything fine scale more in the realms of long way standoff scale !

Can anyone give me a better idea?

Tim

I've used wet & dry in the past, the grade depended on the scale of the model. My 1/6th scale Pica / Dave Platt Fokke Wolf 190 I used a medium grade, around 400.

Posted by Tim Ballinger on 29/01/2019 12:19:15:

Thanks, As I’m film covering I’ll probably try the wet & dry then. I’m useless with paint !

Thanks

I should have mentioned Tim, the AT6 was covered in Solartex, which has a woven type surface.

Wet and dry is used as a surface in other branches of modelling too

Peter,

Many thanks for the input. I did follow your Tiger Moth build but I obviously missed that part of the detail . I'm sure many have said your modelling and attention to detail are second to none , I don't think I have the skill or the patience to even come close to those standards.

My walkway will only have to pass muster from a significant distance away rather than close up. That said micro baloons and paint seems achievable and I will give it a try if my first option of a strip of wet & dry does not cut the mustard.

Again, many thanks

Tim

Posted by PeterF on 29/01/2019 18:37:49:
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 29/01/2019 12:45:34:

I made mine by mixing micro-baloons with flat black paint and brushed it on. Idea was shamelessly borrowed from one of the threads on this forum

I used paint with micro balloons for the walkways on my Tiger Moth, see my build, **LINK**

Now everyone knows where I lifted the idea from embarrassed