EBAY CUTS LISTING FEES FOR PRIVATE SELLERS

Stearman65

I read more into this than it seems. Following my experiences on Ebay this year, I will be using it less, despite their so called offers. Reading between the lines, IMO less & less sellers are listing on Ebay due to added complications, which is why they have introduced this. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

no

Posted by Stearman65 on 30/01/2019 14:19:33:
Posted by Denis Watkins on 30/01/2019 14:11:23:

Their Strategy worked Eric

You just plastered their name in capital letters

On the Nations Favourite Model Flying Forum

Did you read my post?

You are right there, Mr S, they are not as busy as in the past, and are trying to drum up business

As Simon states, the charges amount to approx 20%, but it is a huge Shop Window to display in

I thought ebay charges were closer to 10% and paypal another 5% or thereabouts - have they gone up lately?

Also, postage, apologies if this is stating the blinding obvious, you charge your buyer for it, if you don't you are doing yourself a disservice. Even if you offer "free" postage, factor it in to the price.

Posted by Nigel R on 30/01/2019 15:15:14:

I thought ebay charges were closer to 10% and paypal another 5% or thereabouts - have they gone up lately?

Also, postage, apologies if this is stating the blinding obvious, you charge your buyer for it, if you don't you are doing yourself a disservice. Even if you offer "free" postage, factor it in to the price.

Postage?

I realise that RM don't do it for free fella, but a lot of the time with the BMFA, the buyer will come to you = no postage. No brainer really.

I must be missing something, as you don't have to offer to post things on Ebay, if taking it to a post office or courier is a problem.

I am not trying to be awkward. Just to understand what has genuinely changed for the worse about Ebay over the past few years.

Posted by Nigel R on 30/01/2019 15:49:27:

I must be missing something, as you don't have to offer to post things on Ebay, if taking it to a post office or courier is a problem.

I am not trying to be awkward. Just to understand what has genuinely changed for the worse about Ebay over the past few years.

With short sharp notes and comments, mine could easily be misunderstood.

I sell successfully on eBay every week, and when all features are added and costed, then am nearer 20% costs

But the Shop Window of eBay is huge, so is worth the cost to me.

Others may have had hiccups with eBay by " sailing to close to the wind " but if you stick to their terms, then you can sell easily with no fuss

The current offer is No charge if the item does not sell

Edited By Denis Watkins on 30/01/2019 16:07:26

Nigel, me neither!

I have gone off e.bay due to their on costs, the scammers and time wasters, and in some cases waiting for 30 days for a sale and then getting let down. At least with the BMFA, hopefully the buyers are talking the same language, there are no on costs (if the buyer collects), and transactions can happen very quickly. I think e.bay have just got greedy!. I also use Preloved and Gumtree, and also Facebook has proved to be good.

Simon

Ok, fair enough. Did you know gumtree is owned and run by ebay?

I appreciate BMFA adds have a self selecting clientele (barring the odd rogue). This helps with modelling clobber. Not so much with outgrown baby clothes though!

Denis

That's pretty much my experience, I am not as regular as you but eBay has given me next to no trouble. The most hassle has come from "collection only" local buyers. I personally find the fees ok (be nice if they were lower of course) as the selling price is better than it would be in many other places and it is so easy now to do postage via the prepay labels, which also covers most of your bases with tracking and signatures and whatnot. And as you say, the audience is so large.

For what it's worth, having bought many things off eBay over the years I decided to try selling. I found the whole thing fairly straight forward item sold and I shipped with My Hermes, Printed label and delivery note, 10kg parcel, Drop off, at collection point of my choosing, on Sunday afternoon. 2-3 working day delivery, tracked, signed for and insured for £100. all for the princely sum of £8.90, item delivered this morning (wed)

I buy and sell quite a lot on eBay, and the overall service is excellent, apart from the odd trap to avoid (global shipping program, for example).
However, one very valid point made above is that listing charges are peanuts compared with the overall cost of selling. So, depending on the value of your item, zero listing charges won't make much difference to the final sums that you actually pay to eBay and PayPal.

Looks like ebay has responded to the link in the post by mastercrashman. Got an email from them this morning about change of conditions. It is going to be compulsory to add tracking details in the box provided when an item is sold, it's not sufficient just to send them to the buyer. They say this is to try to prevent tricksters saying they had sent the item when they haven't.

For myself, I always add something in the tracking box, either a tracking number if it's a carrier, or a receipt reference if it's the Post Office. I hope this applies to dealers as 50% of them don't. This will put selling costs up even more.

I think there might be other reasons. If you receive faulty or not as described goods the seller can spin it out for 30 days and refuse a return and ebay backs the seller.. If you say you never received goods the onus is on the seller to prove it was delivered and you stand a better chance of being refunded.

Ebay gives a huge market for our niche items, but I feel the final value fees are a bit steep

Something must be going on between Ebay & Paypal just had an email from PP "Dear Eric S

Avoid wardrobe mishaps by trying your purchase on for size. If it doesn’t quite fit your style, activate Returns on Us for free. We’ll cover the cost of postage so you can return it, anywhere in the world.

Whatever the item, we’ll cover the cost of sending it back*.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Posted by Don Fry on 01/02/2019 13:04:35:

Too much information, now got a mind worm of you in an ill fitting corset.

Don't wear then, do you?wink

Incidentally, you have to register to qualify & it's limited to £15 12 times per year. I did.

Still got a leather jacket I bought 3 years ago that was too tight.

Edited By Stearman65 on 01/02/2019 13:12:37