Hobbyking 60A esc problem

LHR Dave

Hi everyone

I have a problem with two brand new esc,s. They are both from Hobbyking and are rated at 60A. Both of these esc,s are doing exactly the same thing.

Once powered up to a fully charged 3s lipo they bleep 3 times to indicate the number of cells on the battery and then nothing.

If I then switch off the transmitter the esc then continues with its start up tones and then the motor starts and will speed up with throttle movement on the tx. The motor will not stop until the tx is switched off.

The receiver has been used before on other models and is fully servicable , I have been flying for many years and have been using electric flight nearly as long . I have never come across this problem before. Am I doing something wrong or do I have two brand new knackered esc,s.?

Your thoughts please?

Cheers. Dave

Advert

Posted by LHR Dave on 23/02/2019 20:34:25:

If I then switch off the transmitter the esc then continues with its start up tones and then the motor starts and will speed up with throttle movement on the tx. The motor will not stop until the tx is switched off.

I can't quite follow this - you seem to have switched the transmitter off, the ESC arms and the motor runs but you say the motor runs until the transmitter is turned off - when did you switch it back on?

If Denis's suggestion hasn't cured your problem, could your throttle be reversed from the direction the ESC expects to see? What transmitter are you using?

If this is the case, then perhaps your failsafe setting is actually giving full throttle to the ESC.

The reason I switched off the tx was because nothing happened other than the three bleeds to indicate the cells. So just to see I switched the tax off then on and then the esc completed its start up tones then the motor ran. But it would not stop even with low throttle, the only way of stopping the motor was to disconnect the battery. I will now try other sequences to try and get it to arm properly. I must say every other esc I have had I have had no bother at all.

It certainly sounds like the throttle channel is reversed. The ESC will beep when the battery is connected but then nothing will happen. Although the throttle is closed if the channel is reversed the ESC will 'see full throttle' which it won't do until the throttle stick is moved full travel - which will arm the ESC. Then 'closing' the throttle will apply full throttle until the battery is disconnected. I agree with Martin, I think failsafe is commanding full throttle instead of off when the radio is switched off.