DX9 problems

David Davis

Those of you with long memories will remember that my Spektrum DX9 stopped working in 2017. I sent it off to the agent in Germany who sat on it for six weeks before sending it of to the USA. The Yanks repaired it within two days before they sent it back to Germany thence the Germans sent it back to my home in France.

Those of you with shorter memories will remember that I recently crashed my Fun-Fly when the engine cut and I immediately lost all control. Examination of the wreckage showed that the rx battery appeared to be dead. Further investigation revealed that the negative wire between the battery and the plug was broken, hence the lack of power to the receiver caused the model to crash and that was that, or so we thought.

Spool on to today when after a hectic morning and early afternoon I rolled up at the flying field with my electric powered Junior 60 at about 4pm with the intention of getting in a couple of flights in the unseasonably warm, calm air. The usual Wednesday afternoon suspects were there and a potential new member turned up, a drone pilot. After a little break four of us took to the air. My J60 flew normally but as it was a warm afternoon I decided to try to fly over a wood to gain a little more lift. The wood was about 250 metres away, but the model suddenly went out of control and crashed. The wreckage was picked up and we found that reception was good at close range even in range test mode but when I drove 200 odd metres away and tried it again, reception was sporadic. We tried all sorts of experiments using a colleague's transmitter and even another receiver but it would appear that I have problems with this transmitter. I could go into more detail, some of the memories haven't worked properly for example so I've had to abandon them, but two crashes in two consecutive flights suggest a transmitter problem to me.

Given all of the above, to whom should I send the transmitter for inspection and repair?

The Junior 60 which I built in 1988, though it is a bit like trigger's broom, is repairable, just the nose broken off. The wing is intact.

junior 60 in flight.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 27/02/2019 19:15:59

Advert

Als hobbies repaired my DX9 for me recently. I posted it off to them, and they repaired it and posted it back on the same day they received it. Had it back within a week. Very reasonable cost too.

Don't expect miracles with your DX9 though. From my experience, the range is just not that good - especially close to the ground or near water, (or at horizontal distance).

I have one of the last DMS2 / DSMX DX9's and have driven 0.8 of a mile away and still in line of sight slightly elevated from a hill. Then with a phone to my mate next to the aircraft I still had full control. Couldn't see the actual plane at that distance - if I needed to control it that far away I would have bigger problems than worrying about range. So no concern about range for me.

Thank you Jason, Dane, Ace and Robert. I believe that mine was one of the first ones out. I bought it in 2015 when it cost me £334. I still have the box with the price label on it though I was probably given a discount. It has a single antenna.

I'll send it off to Al's Hobbies with an introductory letter. It's starting to look a bit shabby, glow fuel attacking the finish I suppose. I'll ask them to replace the affected parts if they have the spares.