Seagull 80" DH Chipmunk

Well done George, I do know what you mean about the decals. I cut very close on the circles and used my own text in matt black vinyl to avoid that issue.

Mine is 9.25lbs including the battery, but a big saving was that oak tail-plane that Seagull gave me

I seem to recall the pilot figures were hefty too or was that the big Black Horse one? drowning in Chipmunks and am about to start drawing up another one at 1/4 scale!! I do like the Chipmunk

Cheers

Danny

George I didn't find the shiny decals to he a problem at all because they go on a shiny surface anyway. I didn't think the pilots were particularly heavy either. They looked nothing like chipmunk pilots, though but had to do after a bit of a paint job.

The changes I made to the canopy were to film over the screw holes on the outside of the Fus and instead of screws, hold it down with magnets.

It's a pussy cat to fly and seems to be fine with quite a range of c/g. Further back I find it harder to settle nicely into an approach and too far forward it doesn't really want to flare. So fly it and tweak the c/g to suit yourself.

Oh and I filmed over the area between pilots in black.

img_9998.jpg

Hi Danny, I do admire the work you did on a new stab and elevators. You certainly saved enough weight to make it worth while. I did think about copying you but in the end decided I wanted to get it assembled asap so I could focus on other things.

Hi Chris, my c/g is at 117mm so reading through this thread, and you and Danny's comments, I should be ok for the maiden and will tweak from there as you say.

That picture is a cracker!

I like the magnets idea; I may make the change once I have test flown.

Flying mine on 6s 5000ma. I know you posted that you removed some weight after test flights, do you know what weight it is (without flight pack) now? Just curious.

Cheers

George

So, 2 models to test fly George. Will I have my Sopwith Pup finished intime to make it an early Spring test flight bonanza?

I saw Danny's and Chris's Chippies at Buckminster and they don't look as big as 80". I must say I was tempted too but I have too many models already. I need to thin out the fleet.

Geoff

It will be grand to get our two Pups out on patrol! I am not planning to test fly mine until the weather is ok for scrabbling about on the floor with rigging wires etc.

The Chippy will fly as soon as it is not freezing , flooded or blowing a gale! It is a good size but the higher aspect ratio wing provides the 80". It is the same size as a 66" wingspan warbird I have and so it is easy to store and transport. Having said that, I do like the idea of Danny's 1/4 scale Chipmunk project!

• 3 weeks later...

Chipmunk flown!

Last Friday I was surprised to find it was a good flying day to maiden the Chipmunk and so, after a last minute dash to charge lipos and prepare the usual flask and picnic, I was able to get in a couple of flights. It is indeed a ' pussycat' in the air and I look forward to flying it again.

The Chippy looks great in that ARTF stand back a couple of paces to admire kind of a way but the pilot ( I chose to fit just one of the two provided) seemed to constantly draw my gaze despite the shielding of the large framed canopy.

As the first two flights were so very promising, I decided to treat the Chippy to a new pilot and after a little research discovered some excellent examples. However, after postage costs and the need to purchase extra paints and more postage, I decided I needed to think again. It was meant to be an ARTF project that would not represent a major investment as I already had the power combo an servos etc. Besides, I already had two pilots, it was just the case that they were rather 'ugly' and the wrong colours.

I raided the paint box and discovered I just had enough of the right colours to attempt a repaint.

Pupils repainted and a bit more to the face. Mask painted leather and at this stage I was aiming to paint the helmet white but discovered the white Humbrol had turned too thick to brush despite attempts to rescue with thinners and water. chipmunkpilot3.jpg

Edited By George P. on 02/12/2019 11:44:47

I made up an oxygen mask to hide the moulding but I think I was caught up in my amateur attempts to do plastic kit modelling at this point and I am not sure a Chipmunk pilot would be flying with one and so do I fit or not?

Anyway, I am glad I gave it a try and to my eyes the pilot appears an improvement ( parent and ugly child syndrome at work).

Posted by Danny Fenton on 02/12/2019 11:42:05:

Hi George, I asked forumite Tony Bennett to print me one for mine, and he is just right Might be an option??

044.jpg

Congrats on the maiden, that is excellent news

Cheers

Danny

Thanks, Danny. Your pilot does look good! I am having a break from building for a while and so It has amused me to have a bash at repainting the pilot figure supplied by Seagull. He will do for now and as I have screwed the canopy in place it will be easy to replace him in the future.

Posted by Danny Fenton on 02/12/2019 12:02:50:

Ahhh well done he looks excellent and a drastic improvement

Cheers

Danny

Thanks again, Danny.

Of course the irony is that another couple of flights and I am sure I would have stopped noticing the pilot anyway! Oh well, it's all entertainment.

'It's a pussy cat to fly and seems to be fine with quite a range of c/g. Further back I find it harder to settle nicely into an approach and too far forward it doesn't really want to flare. So fly it and tweak the c/g to suit yourself.' 

I see what you mean about the landings, Chris. After two good landings on the first time out with it I now get a bounce on landing. If I come off the throttle a click just before touch down it drops and bounces. If I try to add a touch of elevator to flare just before touch down, then a wing drops and it bounces!

This is with full flaps. I did not try without flaps as it was a very light wind if any. I think I may try a bit of weight in the nose and see how it performs without flaps next time. Seems to fly fine in the air.

Edited By George P. on 04/12/2019 16:35:05

Edited By George P. on 04/12/2019 16:35:58

George was too shy to pose with his Chipmunk on Tuesday when we were both at the airfiled. It was sunny but cold (4 deg). The wind was bit gusty to start with but dropped later. A perfect winter day, I suppose. I managed a few Wot4 flights and enjoyed watching George's Chipmunk strutting its stuff.

georges chipmunk.jpg

Flew really well on 6S and the landings were reasonable I thought but G is a perfectionist

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Morning All

Am building the camouflage version of the Seagull Chippy.

Regarding fixing the u/c legs to the wing. Do you use the 20 mm screws or the 15 mm screws. Bearing in mind the strain of landing I would guess the 20 mm screws. Manual is unclear. Stupid question I know but advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Martin,

The selection/number of screws that were supplied with my kit did not match those in the manual. I had a vast amount of the smallest screws supplied and odd numbers/sizes of everything else. I used some I had in stock for some areas although I can't remember where now. I would have used a screw that was the closest width to the mounting holes in the oleos.

When you come to fit the oleo leg shrouds/spats (can't think of the word) don't follow the manual guidance on where to drill the holes for the screws. One side is ok but the other side you will miss the hardwood mount and go into the soft sheet with your screws. You just need to place the screw holes a tad differently.

Thanks you for the advice George P. The 15 mm screws fit the oleo leg holes whereas the 20 mms are too big. I was just concerned about the quality of my landings!

The 20 mm would protrude far beyond the wood mounting in any case. Maybe another indication that the 15 mm are the right ones.

Much appreciated. Watch out for other questions!

• 1 month later...