Examiners Workshop?

As a result of the latest recommendations in the BMFA magazines, I have managed to get a place on the neares (1.5 hrs away), Examiners Workshop. Hase anybody been on one recently?. Are they worth while?. Any hints and tips before I go?. I am fairly sure it will be a useful excercise, but am interested in knowing what others thought.

Advert

I went to one last year as an instructor (I’m not an examiner). It was useful in clarifying what the examiners are looking for and I’m sure that the examiners attending would be more consistent in their assessments after attending the workshop.

It was interesting that at the beginning of the day when assessing an example A test flight, I sensed an element of competition between some of those attending - ‘I spotted something you missed’. However by the time we assessed a B test routine later on, the comments seemed rather more measured and realistic. So, I’d say a worthwhile exercise.

I'm lucky enough to fly regularly with two members of the scheme review committee so I believe I'm fairly in tune with the ethos of the test procedure but even so I've attended a couple of the workshops (and a roadshow at the NFC) and found them well worthwhile, with only positive comments from the other participants. 

You should get an opportunity to raise any questions that you have about anything relating to the tests or the scheme but I think the best thing to take with you is an open mind...

I certainly feel that the value in comparing standards and dispelling myths is well worth a bit of personal effort by anyone seriously interested in maintaining and improving the quality of the scheme - and you even get a free lunch!

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/04/2019 00:35:43

I attended two of these, one before I did my B test and one after. I am not an instructor, just a club flyer. I found them really worthwhile. I learned a great deal about the test, what the expected standard is and WHY, which is important. It certainly gave me an insight into what the BMFA want to achieve with the scheme and also how difficult it is to obtain and maintain a common standard. You will see the differing interpretations of the rules that some examiners turn up with.

you will enjoy it.

Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 08/04/2019 21:42:01:

As a result of the latest recommendations in the BMFA magazines, I have managed to get a place on the neares (1.5 hrs away), Examiners Workshop. Hase anybody been on one recently?. Are they worth while?. Any hints and tips before I go?. I am fairly sure it will be a useful excercise, but am interested in knowing what others thought.

As a F/W club examiner, I attended one of the first workshops held a few years ago and although they were clearly ironing out a few issues with presentation, it was a worthwhile day out and I'm sure you'll find your time well spent. I'm due to attend another one soon to keep up to speed.

Having attended two workshops at different locations/host clubs, I agree with all previous.

They are very well organised, (even had the perfect flying weather delivered!).

Interesting spread of mostly 'mature' (old boys) present. As can be expected from such a diverse mix, some are pedants others more laissez-faire though still in keeping with the spirit of the 'A' & 'B' tests.

Having been a member of half-dozen or more clubs across the UK down the years and observing flying standards, I doubt the average club flyer regularly executes the manoeuvres as precisely as some at the workshops demand!wink