Engine choice for a Veron Super Robot

Levanter

I am gearing up to build a Veron Super Robot from the kit. It is 60" span and on the box says to use .25 - .40 two strokes. I had set aside an Irvine 36 Red Top but I am now think that I would like to use an OS FS 52 Surpass that is looking for a home.

Which engine do you think would be a better match for the airframe (quite chunky) or wouldn't it really matter?

A couple of years ago I built the Veron Robot and fitted an OS FS 26 Surpass but it has not flown yet.

Levanter

Advert

My Frog Jackdaw (60" span) flies very nicely on an ASP 30 FS, but I think the Super Robot is a bit chunkier and heavier.

I suspect it will be well over powered with a 52 FS, but you can always throttle it back. Might end up a bit nose-heavy, though!

The Irvine 36 is quite a pokey motor for its size, and is well able to swing a big prop - which would also help keep the noise down. Back in the day, we would have flown models of that size with a far less powerful Merco 35!

My vote would be for the Irvine!

BTW, I also have a Veron Robot which is nicely powered by an OS 20 2-stroke. I used to fly a Flair Attila on an OS20 FS, swinging a 10x5 prop, but I think it would have struggled with the heavier Robot. The 26 FS should be OK as long as it is lightly built.

--

Pete

Thank you everyone.

Going on the consensus I will stay with the Irvine. I would rather not be overpowered and the 52 can wait for something more suitable.

I did manage to shave off some weight on the Robot and their is more scope to do that on the Super. All I have to do now is find the safe place where I put the drawing and the instructions. blush

Great advice as always.

Levanter

Posted by Peter Christy on 22/04/2019 15:29:11:

BTW, I also have a Veron Robot which is nicely powered by an OS 20 2-stroke. I used to fly a Flair Attila on an OS20 FS, swinging a 10x5 prop, but I think it would have struggled with the heavier Robot. The 26 FS should be OK as long as it is lightly built.

--

Pete

I built a Robot, modified it for ailerons & spaced the engine bearings to take a paxolin plate in order to try different engines out. Engines tried included a Yin Yan 15, PAW 19, Fox 15 & Enya 09. The Fox was a good power & weight match however the Enya was best overall being about the same weight & only slightly down on power in comparison but with more reliable throttle response.
Later modified the model for electric with a 3s 2000 lipo & 1600kv inrunner turning out Ollie Tiger type power but since changed to a lower kv outrunner using a bigger dia prop for lower speed but better climb.

g_robot_fox15.jpg

g_robot.jpg

e-robot_inrunner.jpg

Lovely model PatMC

Interesting how going electric tidies up the nose.

Here is mine

p1040517.jpg

Following the Box Art which I don't normally do. I didn't have any white solatex so went for the linen.

p1040521.jpg

The OS 26 nestles in very well.

I did thin down the nose cheeks and tapered them inwards in a curve to just leave a small radius outside the spinner. A cover over the fuel tank was about the only other mod.

Levanter

The OP Super Robot is a tad larger

Super Robot by Veron 60" cabin model

Ref: ot-sprobot

Parts set for the original Super Robot as kitted by Veron. Includes all shaped balsa and plwyood parts required to build the basic airframe including fuselages, doublers, bulkeads, formers, nose leg mount, wing ribs, tip shapes, tail and fin parts, dihedral braces, plus smaller items. Builder needs to supply stripwood and sheet to complete.

Model has a wingspan of 60" and suits 40 size engines.Please note advert shows standard size Robot and should be viewed for model design purposes only.