DB Sport & Scale Sopwith Pup 60" ws

I've been eagerly awaiting this new kit to become available and received an email telling me they are now in stock. I've been a bit off modelling for a month or so but I'm hoping a new project will inspire me so I've ordered one.

I'll update this post once it arrives and report on its qualities. I'm a bit of DB S&S fan so I'm not anticipating any serious problem with the kit but probably some from my build

Geoff

Advert

Hi Geoff,

Look forward to watching your build. I'm nearing completion of my DBSC 58" Tiger Moth. I've found it to be an interesting build, with good quality parts. Currently a little stuck with undercarriage build (haven't done any soldering), but everything else has been quite straight forward. I've done a series of build videos on YouTube, which will be a good record.

cheers, Alan

Posted by Doc Marten on 10/05/2019 18:07:59:

I got the notification too, what are you powering it with? Tempted by any of the extras for it?

Mine will be electrically powered - probably 4S but possibly 6S. I'll have to email Richard to get an idea of the all up final weight. With a shortish nose it may involve some lead up front.

The only extras I've ordered are wheels. Not bothered with decals because I don't know what to model it on and I'll have a think about a dummy engine and pilot. I bought some Solartex a while back with a view to using it either on this or an SE5a.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Geoff, Congratulations on your purchase. Although my DB Pup is the 1/4 scale we can still fly in formation over Ashbourne one day (I will just fly a bit further away to get the size about rightsmiley). Hoping to get mine finished this summer and fly it. In the meantime here is some pictures of the progress. Got it propped up on the Dining room table to make up the rigging at the moment.

img_20180215_094622194 (1).jpg

Hi Geoff, Congratulations on your purchase. Although my DB Pup is the 1/4 scale we can still fly in formation over Ashbourne one day (I will just fly a bit further away to get the size about rightsmiley). Hoping to get mine finished this summer and fly it. In the meantime here is some pictures of the progress. Got it propped up on the Dining room table to make up the rigging at the moment. Can't build and can't fly but I enjoy trying!

img_20190531_123557629_burst000_cover.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Your Pup looks good, George, but then I was impressed when you showed me some pics at the field earlier this year. You're a hard act to follow

My Pup kit arrived today after Richard had a few issues in acquiring the accessories and he updated the instructions. It all looks fine but, as yet, just a box full of balsa/ply strip and sheet, some of it beautifully CNC cut, all ready to be fitted together. The instructions and prototype build photos are on the DBS&S web site so you can have an idea of what the kit looks like.

I'm particularly pleased that the top wing and interplane strut fixing is very similar to that used on the similarly sized (58" )  Moths. Field assembly of biplanes often results in their ending up as hangar queens because of the time at the field. That isn't the case with either of my Moths (Tiger and Gypsy/Cirrus) and it doesn't look like it will with the Pup. So once it's built it'll be flown a lot.

Both sides of both wings are fully drawn on one sheet and fuselage on another so there's no need to try using both sides of the sheet by spreading parafin or whatever to make it transparent. It does make for big sheets of paper but that's a price worth paying IMO..

I probably won't start the build for a few weeks (or even months) but it seems to have kicked my enthusiasm a bit and hopefully enough to complete the Ryan I haven't touched since last December. I'm even intending to go to Weston on Sunday and I may even actually go flying if this rain stops.

Anyway from what I've seen this afternoon it all looks very good and, as it's a DB kit, should fly well, too. Richard has used the production of this new kit to celebrate 50 years since Boddo started it all off.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 14/06/2019 21:20:26

Posted by Percy Verance on 15/06/2019 06:31:42:

A nice expansion of the D B Sport & Scale mid size biplane range they already have. Tempting indeed...........

The market was ready for a Pup kit of this size since the Flair job vanished..... All Richard needs now is a larger sized Tiger Moth in his range, and he'll have most of the bases covered. He doesn't do much WW2 stuff, but that's fine by me......

And if, one day, he could squeeze in a Puss/Leopard Moth of around 80 inch span, then that would be even better......oh, and a 60 inch span Hornet Moth would sit nicely in the range as well..... wink

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/06/2019 06:38:30

I agree. A larger Tiger Moth would be tempting or a Moth Minor. A 60 inch Hornet Moth would be good too. If I ever get around to finishing my Pup that is!

Edited By George P. on 15/06/2019 09:50:38

Whilst there are a few Boddo touches from the other bipes (at least the Moths) I think Richard deserves most of the credit for this one. I'm looking forward to the build. I've even applied glue to wood on my Ryan this afternoon although merely to repair it after I fell on it a few weeks back. It's probably (actually certainly) the worst kit I've ever built; how they have the nerve to call the firm Easy Built Models I don't know.

Belair do plans and CNC parts for the Bates Moth Minor at 1/4, 1/5 and 1/8 scale. I was seriously considering the 1/5th scale version before I decided on the DB Pup

btw George, if you fancy a lift to Weston tomorrow, give me a call. Avice and I are going.

Geoff

I bought the Comper Swift plan from Dennis Bryant at his shop in SE London back in the early eighties, I would guess. I also bought at the same time some injection moulded cylinders, heads and pushrod tubes which Dennis had produced to take the faff of cutting multiple discs for the pots. I've still got the plastic bits somewhere, never got around to building the model (family life got in the way) and somehow lost the plan in a house move along with other plans etc. which I'd been storing in a cardboard tube.sad

One day, I'll make a fresh start and get another plan, assuming I can ever afford to retire!!

Kim