New Model Servo/Trim setup

charlie holdford

Hi All,

Just setting up a new build trainer, Seagull e Pioneer

Using a servo tester I can see the standard max travel in each direction 800 - 2200

which gives a theoretical centre of 1500?

However, my tester also stops at say (arbitrary value) 1479 prior to going to 1500.

Am I right in thinking

a. This is the actual servo centre (each being different)?

b. I should use this value to align the control surfaces (ruler) to centre adjust the arms?

c. Is this the way to set the initial trim?

Cheers

Charlie

Advert

Hi Percy

Hmm I think its just I can not put it into wordssmiley

I agree I can setup with the TX and centre it with trim, but I have not got that far yet (no RX fitted).

Just confused with the servo tester difference of what is centre.....

What will the TX see as centre?

Not much point in spending time aligning if it changes when the TX is in control, that's all

Cheers

Charlie

Hi Percy

Hmm I think its just I can not put it into wordssmiley

I agree I can setup with the TX and centre it with trim, but I have not got that far yet (no RX fitted).

Just confused with the servo tester difference of what is centre.....

What will the TX see as centre?

Not much point in spending time aligning if it changes when the TX is in control, that's all

Cheers

Charlie

My tester has a simple centre button Charlie

And this agrees with both makes of Tx and Rx that I use

So for very little money you can get this type of tester

Yours is still useful to see that the servo does work, and the range of surface throw

They are just a useful aid and not seen as gospel

Use the servo tester to get them to centre but leave final, mechanical adjustments for when you have the Tx connected. Try to set centre by mechanical means, ie by moving the servo arms on the splines then leave final adjustments, which should now be small, to the Tx. With my tester 1500 is centre but some servos centre slightly differently when the Tx is connected.

If it's any help Charlie, I've built and set up countless models over the years and have never owned, or used, a servo tester. The advice to set up the servos mechanically as far as possible is extremely sound - when I started there were no adjustments - not even reversing and certainly no travel adjustments - available from the transmitter so you learnt this skill, which maximises mechanical advantage and servo resolution, from the outset.

I've seen too many poorly thought out installations since returning to the hobby - these are largely due to the ability to drop servos into a model and use the programming to correct poor practice - you seem to be more aware than most beginners!

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/05/2019 22:16:16

Unfortunately Percy, despite servos being centred using a servo tester it is not guaranteed that they will be exactly the same when connected up to the TX. I use a variety of HiTec, Futaba, Savox and have found that the HiTec ones vary the most, the Futaba are the best. I am only talking about 1 spline out but it can be annoying. This is also true in operation with the Futaba ones being the most accurate when coming back to centre, I can easily overcome this on my FrSky kit or can program the HiTecs. At the end of the day you are controlling your ‘plane with your TX, not the servo tester!