Mobile hangar fittings

I got fed up squeezing models into a Mazda MX5 so I’ve bought something more suitable as a mobile hangar and I’m interested in how others have fitted out theirs for maximum storage. Initial plan is a false floor just above the wheel arches for assembled models on top and wings or fuselages underneath then some battens widthwise under the roof for storing larger wings.

I’m sure there are some imaginative solutions already in use - let’s see them!

van-view.jpeg

Advert

Several fliers at Davidstow club have made cradles out of plastic soil pipe (1-1/2” to 2” in diameter) and solvent glue. Then with a bit of ingenious design you could tower one on top of the other. Pull it all out and the mobile hangar becomes a van again.

A bit like **THIS**

Edited By cymaz on 19/05/2019 17:15:07

Posted by Percy Verance on 19/05/2019 17:29:07:

The lightweight cycling approach is great if it works for you Ernie, but where would the fieldbox, transmitter, gallon of fuel and folding chair go?

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/05/2019 17:33:45

Front seat, on the wife’s lap ( well, almost in my case) laughyes

Posted by Glyn44 on 19/05/2019 13:37:14:

Phew, so relieved.

There has been some sacrifice: the van has been financed by selling my ancient Ducati 900SS which I’m sorry to see go but didn’t ride it at all last year so it’s gone to a more active home. Still got a motorcycle to ride though, there’s no way I’m giving up two wheels until I’m physically unable to get my leg over 😉

• 3 months later...

Finished the van so here’s an update:

I now have a raised floor which gives me 30cm of room underneath to store wings, wood panels on each side with brackets to hold fuselages and dowels at the top so I can put wings on top of them and hang small gliders underneath. The floor stops short of the doors so heavy items like batteries and flight bags can be propped against it - it gives me somewhere to sit too!

There’s still a few models to squeeze in and I might yet need another top rack but overall I think the space is well used.

Full-van view