Sorry for another post regards this build.

I have not built a model with "built up" wing tips so a bit stuck on rear TE/TIP join.

I have got the TE rear join ok BUT do not know about the gap between the TE sheets just before the last rib.

After the last rib I have to sandwich the wing tip between the sheets,trying to find pictures to get a idea of the method.dscn0854.jpgdscn0855.jpgdscn0857.jpg

dscn0853.jpg

Advert

I'm the king of the bodgers and if I were building that wing I'd just carve away enough of the rib so that the top T/E sheeting lay flush with the lower. I find that wing tips often need a little creative thinking and as long as it's the same both sides and you avoid wash-in it won't affect the flying qualities.

Geoff

Last rib looks a bit thick on the join of the trailing edge sheet balsa lengths and needs trimming slightly. The top sheet needs scoring above the rib to create the trailing edge taper by bending it and gluing it to the lower sheet. I am pretty sure that's what I did in 1962 / 3 with my wings that are in the loft so I cannot check it .However if I was using solid trailing edge I would look to shape it the same.

p7150088.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 15/06/2019 22:40:07

Hi Mike, I left the last rib as it came,as I did not know what I had to do shape wise, I trimmed the others down and got a good join .

I will trim down like the others, I do not get the part about scoring over the rib? the plan says to shape the wing tip parts and sandwich between the TE sheets. if I score and bend to meet the lower how will the wing tip fit?

Also, should the wing tip (3 pieces to make 1 tip) continue on the same plane ribs/te/le? There is a not to scale diagramme whih seems to show a rise,but its not clear.

Are you a member of a club Gary? If you are, there will surely be some old Greybeard who would be only too pleased to help you with this build. It's much easier for someone to stand beside you and show you how it's done than it is for us to explain the techniques in writing. You only have to ask.

Basically I agree with Mike. It's been a long time since I built my Junior 60 but if I remember correctly, I made up the wing tip out of the shaped balsa supplied with the kit and glued it between the two sheets which make up the trailing edge, then I scored the top of the upper trailing edge sheet at the position of the last rib, bent the upper trailing edge sheeting downwards and glued it to the wing tip parts.

It's been over thirty years since I built my Junior 60 but I've just felt the trailing edge at the position we're talking about and it seems pretty solid. If there is a gap between the upper sheet and the wing tip parts fill it with scrap balsa.

I've just built one of these Ben Buckle kits and, at first, what to do with the wing tips wasn't clear to me either.

It looks like it's too late for you to cut the slot in the outer rib (shown in the lower middle of the previous photo).

If you've already put the lid on the trailing edge sandwich then I'd chop the wing tip where it meets the end of the rib. You'll then need to thin the end of the wing tip so it fits in the triangular sandwich, against the rib. Then finish off with a triangular brace on the inside (perhaps the part you cut off the tip).

Edited By Andy Hat on 16/06/2019 11:26:15

Sorry for the basic questions guys and thanks for the help. Its just that is not easy to visualise what the plans want done AND seeing a covered wing don't really help either.

Paul ,your plan shows more detail than mine and slightly different in build. Does your plan show the wing tip raised at all? my plan has a very little not to scale drawing and the wing tip looks raised, again no details how much etc.

I am getting way out of sync with the build, I have removed 1 wing from the board with no LE or top TE sheet fitted and made the second wing to the same stage while I remember what I did!

now both are done I will play about with the wing tip area.

See you soon !

D.D. Thanks for that,i can not always take written stuff in ,pictures is great!

I can understand the wingtip front now, your tips look to be in the same plane as the spars so I will do the same.Your TE at the tip is different,my plan shows them extending over the tip. So mant variations, I do not have the knowledge to know the benefits of the variations.