Moon Dancer 2

Advert

Posted by kc on 17/08/2019 08:34:24:

I see that the RCME with original Dragon Dancer is available from Magazine Exchange but although it's a free plan issue it was not the Dragon Dancer but a different plan.

Dragon Dancer was featured with a build article in RCM&E Sep 1998, but not as a free plan, here. The plan is still available from Sarik Hobbies RM1868 here.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 17/08/2019 13:11:38

Mentioning Dragon Dancer 2 in this thread could be a 'red herring' because the original Moon Dancer had a different wing section even though the wingtips and low aspect ratio make it seem similar. Moon Dancer article stated it was NACA 0015 while the Dragon Dancer 2 was not stated but looks quite different on the plan. Of course we don't yet know what Moon Dancer 2 will have for wing section so we must wait and see.......

Moon Dancer 2 has got NACA 3414 section.It works just like a symetrical section, it is just flat bottomed fromthe spar back for easier building. It is my standard section these days because I am lazy!!

To be honest I don't really go back to the older plans. I just draw a new plan that follows the general lay out with new span, chord, length and everything else. so they are all "based loosely on"

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/08/2019 18:39:16

You keep mentioning 'because I am lazy' but nobody believes you Peter! Not when you knock out a new plan every three months, even if it is 'based loosely on', occasionally. So this year, February we were treated to Little Miss Honky Tonk, June we had Li'l Cub, next month we will have Miss Deeds and by the end of the year, Moon Dancer 2, no doubt. I think you are slowing down Peter wink 2.

Well this year I also built a new version my old Waco PG2 again

waco 1.jpg

A kit from the 80s picked up cheap on Ebay,The Airwave ClubStar but that went together very quickly

clubstar.jpg

And I am working on a Guillows DH4 which will be 4 channel at 27" span although that one was sending me mad

But they are just pot boilers.

Curious that Peter should show a photo of his new Waco because just the other day when people were discussing Peter's number of designs I picked up a random copy of an RC mag and it contained his Waco! Later that day I turned on the TV and it was right in the middle of a programme - a bit of film showing lots of Waco's landing at Arnhem. Programme was World at War repeated. Magazine was RC Modeler Oct 95 ( US of course) but the plan was also in RC ModelWorld and now available from Sarik. Made me wonder whether publishing the same design but with different version plans ( due to redrawing) has been counted as just 1 plan in Peter's score........maybe the total is already 200 if we counted the separate versions!

It looks as though the new Waco and Clubstar are both electric?

I downloaded the plan from Outerzone. I didn't fancy paying for it.Admittedly I didn't ask if I could have a copy.

No. I counted it as two plans. The download is much coarser printing.

The original Waco had Coxes but was converted to Speed 400 electric motors. THis was covered in the article in RCM which is also on Outerzone.

The same plan was sent in but the American draughtsman put in American components such as horns etc. I did clear it with the RC Model World Editor before sending it in to RCM. In those days magazines were not as easily available on both sides of the pond.

The Clubstar was converted to electric power using the same power set up as the Ohmen.

Right! Started cutting wood on Thursday. 15th Aug

Fuselage basic construction started, and assembled with ply doublers. Seen here with the front turtle deck pieces.

moon dancer const 001.jpg

Here is the top bay which will hold the ESC.

moon dancer const 002.jpg

The under side of the nose showing the U/C mount, my standard system that has yet to fail, also the battery mount. The hatch is underneath because there was no way that I could arrange a hatch on top and still keep the canopy style that I wanted.

moon dancer const 004.jpg

The front Turtel dexck sides glued on vertically

moon dancer const 009.jpg

and rolled over and glued down. They were harder that I wante and it took a lot of wetting and high heat on the heat gun

moon dancer const 011.jpg

This is the taliplane plat form. I like a really strong tailplane mount as it is easy for them to be knocked.

moon dancer const 010.jpg

The wing is built in one piece on a 48" board.

moon dancer const 007.jpg

I make a slot inthe centre rib and put liteply sub ribs. This makes a very secure slot for the elading edge dowel.

moon dancer const 008.jpg

The top leading edge sheet goes on. I put the webs in front on the spar because this allows me to use masses of paper clips tohold the leading edge sheet down.The front is held down wth masses of map pins.

moon dancer const 013.jpg

This is a close up of the clamps

moon dancer const 014.jpg

So far so good.

No, No dihedral. that will be no problem..Miss Deeds had none and a few others in the past didn't.

The model is basically very simple but things willslow down a bit now

I once was asked to design and build a model and get the plans in in four weeks. I test flew it in three. That was for a plan in a Traplet plans catalogue.

Well, quite a bit of progress but a lot of the work is not as photogenic.

The rear turtle deck has been completed and the cockpit floor installed with the flat top to the front turtle deck.

moon dancer const 18.jpg

The fairing blocks for the fin are spot glued over scrap 1/4" sheet which takes the place of the fin and tailplane.

moon dancer const 015.jpg

Once shaped it can be split apart and you have two correctly shaped parts.

moon dancer const 016.jpg

The battery hatch is made from 1/16" ply. The formers hold it in shape to match the belly of the fuselage. The catch will be screwed to the shaped hardwood block it the front. Nylon pin hinges will be screwed to the rear end.These will be held the to fuselage with the front screws holding the U/C in place.

moon dancer const 020.jpg

The servo mounting locations in the fuselage are pretty basic. Plenty of room for larger servos here.

moon dancer const 021.jpg

The aileron servo mounts are just ply plates in the wing, they are inset so that not too much of the servo protrudes below the wing.

moon dancer const 023.jpg

top of the wing showing Holes for servo leads exits Cap strips still to be added.

moon dancer const 022.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the model finished and today was perfect for test flying.

moon dancer 1.jpg

moon dancer 2.jpg

moon dancer 3.jpg

Unfortunately nd for some reason it was actually over powered abit and strangley over sensitive to the controls. The CG was spot on but itb took off kike a scalded kcat and headed for the sky. A slightly hurried application of down elevator from about 5 feet and it dived and hit the ground. No serious damage but it did end test flying for the day.

moon dancer 4.jpg

And to think that I had considered taking a spare model but as I had not plenned to be on the field as long as usual I didn't.

Repairs will not take much more than a morning.