Latest CAA Update

Chris Berry

Thanks Steve. Most intriguing - the slightly odd pattern of very precise and strangely arbitrary overlay information suggested several sources; one of the challenges nowadays, especially when dealing with some one else's bureaucracy or data retrieval is determining the provenance and likely accuracy of the data !

(Occasionally I have had to explain to people, especially non-technical managers, politicians and civil servants that data is not of itself valuable. until is developed into reliable information - from which we may be able to gain knowledge. There is a tendency to presume the data gathering is the really important bit & everything else peripheral.)

What, in the long run, do you think the CAA intend to use the geo-awareness database for? Is it their intention that drone operators will be able to access it ? - that might make sense for commercial drone operators but I can't seethe ordinary user doing so. To ask commercial users to pay for access to that database would be reasonable, and a charge the operators would simply pass on to clients. For ordinary drone users, that would need a change in law surely.

The database is of little or no relevance to the average radio control flier surely, since we are line of sight only. Struggling to see the justification for our paying for it!

My word that is a scary document, Steve - thanks for mentioning it. AI had not seen it before. A quick first scan suggests that much of the focus is on much more intrusive future operations than anything we represent, but...

I must read further about the proposed update of VFR general aviation aircraft by around 2027, (Just what we need, another expensive & pointless change just after the 8.33MHz spacing radio shambles & the expensive transponder fitments. Sigh.)

I liked your -

"I'm sure that the government would say that even if you always fly line of sight in the same place, you should still check for restrictions."

True-ish, just as we are always supposed to have checked the Notams before flying fullsize. That said, if flying circuits at known and registered airfields in some quieter parts of the country, that is often 'honoured in the breach', it being expected that any relevant flying activities would be known about, or would require co-ordination if affecting the circuit area.

In any event, I can't see the fliers at my local modelling site checking the database every day for local restrictions. Perhaps we need to suggest that our model flying sites get put on the database too, so that others can avoid us !

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Martin. I skimmed the page too quickly.

Some modellers have said that they plan on not registering until next year, presumably with their models in storage somewhere. If the models are in storage then the owner will be responsible for them and their safe keeping. I wonder if that will mean that the owner should register from day one as being responsible for the models per the first line of the Operator ID section, even if they're not to be flown for a long while.

Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 29/09/2019 17:20:56:

Thanks Martin. I skimmed the page too quickly.

Some modellers have said that they plan on not registering until next year, presumably with their models in storage somewhere. If the models are in storage then the owner will be responsible for them and their safe keeping. I wonder if that will mean that the owner should register from day one as being responsible for the models per the first line of the Operator ID section, even if they're not to be flown for a long while.

If the models are not being flown then neither the owner nor pilot will need to register. No fly no register.

Posted by Robert Parker on 29/09/2019 17:35:01:

Can anyone tell me how I go about the registration process. I have tried the "Drone and model aircraft registration and education service" page but i cannot get anywhere with it and tried several attempts on the search bar.

Thought I'd give the test a go and start the registration process.

Regards

Robert

I spoke to a chap in the drones team a couple of weeks ago and he said the documentation and system would not be available until the first day the system goes live, then quoted as the 1st October. I stated my surprise at the information not being available prior to the launch day but he passed it off as its just the way it is.

I suspect Tuesday won't be launch day.