Latest CAA Update

Chris Berry

Advert

Posted by Peter Christy on 11/09/2019 22:14:04:

Excellent news!

Well done all those who have worked so hard for this, both within the BMFA, and those who have pestered the DfT, CAA and their MPs.

--

Pete

I wonder how many emails/letters they have all had?

A rough count shows that I have sent well in excess of 50 emails spread across the CAA, Richard Moriarty, the drones team, the various complaints teams, my MP, the DfT, Grant Shapps, Chris Grayling and the anti-aviation minister. Not to mention all the online complaints forms.

If all BMFA members have done similar, then they must have been absolutely inundated!

We all must not give up until things are set in stone though!

Posted by Peter Jenkins on 12/09/2019 00:35:21:

I always thought that the pseudonym of Failing Grayling was unfair. I'm not so sure now! Well done to Grant Shapps for taking this up and directing the DfT to be helpful towards the model flying world. Let's hope they do as they are told and don't have a Sir Humphrey to frustrate the S of S's direction.

Oh, Grayling's reputation was well earned! From privatising the probation service (many of the "suppliers" have now gone bust!), Brexit Ferries (giving a shipping contract to a company with neither ships nor experience), the list is endless! In each case, his successor has had to sort out the mess he left behind!

When I learned who the new SofS for Transport was, I was hopeful, as he has shown himself to be a friend of model flying in the past.

I just hope the progress being made is not disrupted by all the other current political shenanigans!

--

Pete

Maybe, just maybe, someone in government has actually taken a look at the absurd and disproportionate regulations that are currently lined up for model flyers and thought "oops"!

I don't expect a total climb-down, but we'll wait and see. Obvously, there is concern about drones within government (off the shelf multi rotors that are being flown illegally under existing regs and are spoiling things for the majority of responsible MR pilots) and perhaps our inclusion is finally being viewed as the innocent collateral damage that it is.

Well done to the BMFA and all who stood their ground in getting the powers that be come and talk and find a sensible way forward.

Twelve years ago I was leader of a small number of government volunteer rescue workers [ Coastguards ] in dispute with the DfT [ coastguard is part of the DfT ] over the failure to provide a fit for purpose insurance for Coastguards injured on duty. Turned out even full time members were not properly covered.

Our dispute followed very similar lines. First we were just ignored. After further contact with ministers, CEO's and other chiefs we had replies telling us everything was fine and there were no issues to answer.

The next round of contacts brought very firm replies more or less saying they were in charge and we should accept that they were right.

Only when we took firm action did meaning full talks begin and eventually as sensible solution to both sides was found.

The next stage for the BMFA is to come to a sensible agreement and then check and double check the small print.

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 12/09/2019 09:48:21:

Sounds like a good job that the BMFA did not mount a legal challenge as some contributors to this thread have suggested!

I think that any sort of legal action would have to be a last ditch effort to be avoided if at all possible , I wouldn't rule it out completely, but things have taken on a slightly more positive tone from the government. Again, echo comments re the BMFA team's efforts.

I think the you lot and the BMFA did good giving the powers a hard time. And a lucky break that May fell, and with her Failing Grailing, (who was so named by his fellow Consevative MPs by the way, so no question that he was castigated by strangers).

It allowed the possibility to blame "the previous management team", to quote that hackneyed phrase so well known to any one who has worked in a large organisation.

Not belittling the BMFA efforts nor achievements with respect to the issues being discussed, I do wonder about Dft and perhaps the CAA.

One of my granddaughters plays an organised game at school, in the playground. It consists of a teacher swinging a rope around in a circle, horizontally, with a weight on the end. The children try and jump over the rope as it swings by.

On the beach where I live and no doubt, in parks up and down the country, people on a regular basis fly kites. Just a week ago a kite festival was held on the beach, incorporating some very, very large kites, controlled from winches.

As far as I aware non have been considered as candidates requiring registration or operator licensing.

Yet if there was any serious consideration of requiring CL models on up to 70 foot lines max needing to register or pass a pilot test beggars believe. As a concession it has no value other than saving themselves from being seen as a laughing stock.

Posted by Erfolg on 12/09/2019 13:23:44:

Not belittling the BMFA efforts nor achievements with respect to the issues being discussed, I do wonder about Dft and perhaps the CAA.

One of my granddaughters plays an organised game at school, in the playground. It consists of a teacher swinging a rope around in a circle, horizontally, with a weight on the end. The children try and jump over the rope as it swings by.

On the beach where I live and no doubt, in parks up and down the country, people on a regular basis fly kites. Just a week ago a kite festival was held on the beach, incorporating some very, very large kites, controlled from winches.

As far as I aware non have been considered as candidates requiring registration or operator licensing.

Yet if there was any serious consideration of requiring CL models on up to 70 foot lines max needing to register or pass a pilot test beggars believe. As a concession it has no value other than saving themselves from being seen as a laughing stock.

"One of my granddaughters plays an organised game at school, in the playground. It consists of a teacher swinging a rope around in a circle, horizontally, with a weight on the end. The children try and jump over the rope as it swings by"

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to take a control line model down there and really give them something to jump over!

Not just the control line fiasco that might make them a laughing stock - just about everything about registration etc is so 'Yes Minister"

Edited By Cuban8 on 12/09/2019 13:41:13

Posted by J D 8 on 12/09/2019 09:39:13:

Well done to the BMFA and all who stood their ground in getting the powers that be come and talk and find a sensible way forward.

This is a much more hopeful development and I agree the BMFA, other national associations and all who responded deserve credit. However we have to accept there is a big slice of luck in how we have arrived here. Had there not been a change of minister this would not have happened - responses to the “consultation” had been conclusively flat batted/ignored, with the path ahead defined in stone and not in our favour. We also need to remember that even if there is a favourable outcome in the short term (I.e. registration can be facilitated via the national associations at zero or very low cost) that does not mean it is guaranteed to stay that way forever. There are still lots of battles to be fought (most obviously the possible mandating of transponders even for VLOS operations), and from now on we are always going to be one prominent incident away from another potentially restrictive change in the law.

Still, this is definitely a day to look at with a glass half full attitude - we are in a significantly better situation than we were 24hrs ago.

Edited By MattyB on 12/09/2019 15:54:44