Latest CAA Update

Chris Berry

Advert

Posted by Chris Berry on 29/09/2019 21:19:28:

If the models are not being flown then neither the owner nor pilot will need to register. No fly no register.

We are being led to believe that we will be required to register our models for national security reasons. It occurs to me that not registering all flyable drones and models in circulation will leave a gap in their traceability and render the scheme less effective, if not actually worthless, for security purposes.

Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 30/09/2019 18:48:07:
Posted by Chris Berry on 29/09/2019 21:19:28:

If the models are not being flown then neither the owner nor pilot will need to register. No fly no register.

We are being led to believe that we will be required to register our models for national security reasons. It occurs to me that not registering all flyable drones and models in circulation will leave a gap in their traceability and render the scheme less effective, if not actually worthless, for security purposes.

Who is leading you to believe that Gordon? Who has said anything about national security?

They aren’t interested in the aircraft, they are interested in the individual operator/pilot.

We do not need to register our aircraft.

Edited By Chris Berry on 30/09/2019 18:52:40

Edited By Chris Berry on 30/09/2019 18:55:34

Putting my neck on the block here, but I just have a feeling that something very positive as regards model aircraft and association members will be forthcoming. No inside knowledge, not clairvoyant - as I said before, the whole thing is so absurd I can't believe that reasonable people will go through with it and insist we jump through the hoops. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/10/2019 12:32:50

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 29/09/2019 20:39:32:

Its worth coming along to Saturdays Achievement scheme roadshow if anyone is interested in the latest position.

Dave Phipps will be speaking about the latest developments.

For more details and to reserve a place see

https://achievements.bmfa.org/achievement-scheme-roadshow-5th-october

Any chance of having this streamed via Facebook or YouTube?

Posted by Cuban8 on 01/10/2019 12:36:23:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 29/09/2019 20:39:32:

Its worth coming along to Saturdays Achievement scheme roadshow if anyone is interested in the latest position.

Dave Phipps will be speaking about the latest developments.

For more details and to reserve a place see

https://achievements.bmfa.org/achievement-scheme-roadshow-5th-october

Any chance of having this streamed via Facebook or YouTube?

Will depend on the quality of the wifi at teh venue, its a possibility though. Having said that its will be worth coming along in person.

Posted by Cuban8 on 01/10/2019 12:32:26:

Putting my neck on the block here, but I just have a feeling that something very positive as regards model aircraft and association members will be forthcoming. No inside knowledge, not clairvoyant - as I said before, the whole thing is so absurd I can't believe that reasonable people will go through with it and insist we jump through the hoops. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Operator registration is here to stay, but my prediction is that the cost to register as an operator will dip dramatically (maybe to £3-5), and the time that registration lasts will be pushed out to at least 3 years. I still don't believe the BMFA or any of the other national associations will be allowed to use their membership in lieu of registration though - as Steve points out there are complexities and disadvantages in the eyes of the authorities given the real goal the DfT are trying to navigate towards (i.e BVLOS commercial operations are in the mainstream). I also doubt BMFA A Certs or similar will be approved as a proxy for the online competency exam - that test is mostly about showing you understand the current legal status with respect to SUAS, and an A taken in 1984 does not really prove that!

We shall see...

Edited By MattyB on 02/10/2019 09:04:29

Posted by Peter Christy on 02/10/2019 09:57:15:

Ye Gods! Who wrote that waffle? It sounds just like Gus Hedges from "Drop the Dead Donkey"!

More naval gazing by a lot of overpaid Eurocrats at our expense......

--

Pete

Bet there's a good lunch provided....................

"More naval gazing by a lot of overpaid Eurocrats at our expense......"

In the sorry history of the UK registration saga, it seems like the "overpaid Eurocrats" arrived at a better answer, than the pointless gold plating applied on top by the overpaid Brit quango effort.

I'd also imagine that if, say, an entire continent funded a single central agency to do this stuff, it might work out considerably cheaper for each country, than each country funding individual agencies to do the same stuff, over and again on top of the central agencies efforts.

So yes, at our expense, like most governmental agencies, but a lot less of our individual expense than, say, the humble and open minded De Vere fiddling around doing busy work and Failing Grayling's database contract.

Posted by Nigel R on 02/10/2019 11:18:28:

"More naval gazing by a lot of overpaid Eurocrats at our expense......"

In the sorry history of the UK registration saga, it seems like the "overpaid Eurocrats" arrived at a better answer, than the pointless gold plating applied on top by the overpaid Brit quango effort.

I'd also imagine that if, say, an entire continent funded a single central agency to do this stuff, it might work out considerably cheaper for each country, than each country funding individual agencies to do the same stuff, over and again on top of the central agencies efforts.

So yes, at our expense, like most governmental agencies, but a lot less of our individual expense than, say, the humble and open minded De Vere fiddling around doing busy work and Failing Grayling's database contract.

I couldn't comment, coz it would be politics, so I'll just go. yes

This from the DfT today:

The Department is working with the Civil Aviation Authority to finalise the registration service. The deadline for registration is 30th November 2019 and although there has been a minor delay to the launch of the service, we expect it to go live shortly.

Posted by Steve J on 07/10/2019 15:03:39:

Slides from the achievement scheme roadshow.

**LINK**

Steve

It will be very interesting to see how many of the suggestions in the 16th Sept joint proposal between the CAA and DfT (I did have to read the authors more than once to check it wasn't a misprint...!) come to pass...

"CAA/DfT submitted proposals to SoS for consideration – 16th September which included:

• Commitment from DfT & CAA to work with model flying community
  • Reduction in DRES costs and associated fees
  • Recognition of Achievements
  • Registration through Associations
  • Exemption for members to allow registration in line with membership renewal
  • Exemption for Control Line (Agreed)
  • No requirement for external numbers (Agreed)"

The Daily Mail today had a feature on the most wanted Christmas toys one is My First Drone said to be suitable for children aged 4 up and sold by John Lewis and lots of other high street names. Seems to be RC. Is this affected by registration etc?

A quick glance through the BMFA website does not throw up any info about weights  and any exemption for lightweight drones as far as I can see, and anyway there is no quoted weight on the John Lewis site.   So does this presumably lightweight item escape the registration?

Edited By kc on 07/10/2019 18:38:40

Posted by kc on 07/10/2019 18:26:18:

The Daily Mail today had a feature on the most wanted Christmas toys one is My First Drone said to be suitable for children aged 4 up and sold by John Lewis and lots of other high street names. Seems to be RC. Is this affected by registration etc?

Only if it's over 250g, which from the pictures looks doubtful.