Latest CAA Update

Chris Berry

Advert

The first stage is to ensure that anyone who flies is registered the second stage is then to be able to identify every aircraft that moves . So before every aircraft can be fitted with a transponder they need to know who the pilots are and how many aircraft there are that will be an impossible task particularly when it not only includes model  aircraft but manned aircraft like hang gliders and paragliders none of which at the moment need to be registered in any way shape or form So there is a lot of work to do before they are anywhere near having a traffic management system.

This registration process is going to be more than they can cope with and will fail massively as we have pointed out to them so any concept of a mass transponder system is completely unrealistic 

Edited By Chris Berry on 04/09/2019 07:53:37

Edited By Chris Berry on 04/09/2019 08:09:21

Why does the baroness, seemingly with no reason other than that she can, chooses to throw aeromodelling into her drone registration pot? It smacks of being woefully uninformed as to how we operate as clubs and she seems to be getting away with it.

Can we expect a strongly worded editorial from our new editor to set her straight? Presumably, there will be something similar in BMFA News.

Love the Humphrey Bogart clip..........Treasure of the Sierra Madre if memory serves?

Edited By Cuban8 on 04/09/2019 08:29:06

At the moment there is no requirement for microlights hang gliders hot air balloons paragliders or other similar small light aircraft to have transponders. Until every aircraft is fitted with a transponder a partial system won’t work .

Retrofitting model aircraft and associated systems won’t work due to power source switch size etc.

The only reasonable option is to have some form of groundstation at a flying club but even that has its pitfalls.

There was a CAA consultation on this a few months ago hopefully modellers responded as I did.

Ground stations at model flying clubs? I can't believe it.laugh

How about genetically modified grass that grows day glow yellow - maybe just a giant X of the stuff sown into the patch. Huge white painted sign on grass ..............."here be aeromodellers"

Sorry, absurdity just breeds more absurdity.

Edited By Cuban8 on 04/09/2019 08:37:50

That’s what is being pushed for I believe Steve.

Existing sites, or any new sites published on a map...now where have I seen that????

They can then be added to an App and job is done. That seems to me to be the best and most logical option and one that was talked about in the CAA consultation on Conspicuity.

It does seem that there will be many future battles to be fought with respect to flying models.

To be successful in any struggle you need the resources. Most obviously that includes people, also money.

In the case of money the BMFA needs to prioritise the forth coming actions above anything else.

It is a similar situation with respect to people. Not just accept or believe the present team is doing a good job. Recognising that this area of work will take it toll, there is a need to have a depth to the team, ready to be substituted, rotated, as people need holidays and rest. That includes the team leader.

The more I read, the more certain I become that the existence of the BMFA depends on obtaiingn acceptable and realistic arrangements.

Fail and the NFC will become a Centre for activities that are not primarily model flying related.

Posted by Jason-I on 03/09/2019 21:46:19:

You think clarifying, in law, the airspace ownership rights of landowners is just an 'I don't like it' case?

Careful what you wish for...that can work both ways and certainly in the case of our club would destroy our ability to fly anything larger than park flyers, 3D models or (ironically) drones if our neighbouring land owner were to restrict overflight.

I spent last weekend at the LAA Sywell Rally and took the opportunity to have a chat with Jonathan Nicholson (Assistant head of communications, CAA). He is a pleasant enough chap who seemed to say that registration had been foisted upon them by the government (D of T). I had asked him why, at this late stage, was it still unclear what the annual fee would be?

I told him that as an airline pilot (retired) I had only ever been required to take one air law exam as part of my professional licence, - in 1980. I said that one is just expected to know the regulations and keep abreast of any changes, the same can be said for road users. I said, on the other hand, model aircraft/multirotor flyers will be tested every three years, so could he explain the thinking behind that? He simply said that it is all subject to change and will be sorted out in the fulness of time (to paraphrase).

I asked him about model aircraft being required to carry some form of transponder in the future, for remote identification. He felt that models aircraft would not be affected as he agreed that they were not the problem. However he did say that DJI drones would have this facility and enable them (airport operators?) from differencing between the good guys and the bad guys when they were detected (again to paraphrase).

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 04/09/2019 10:29:41

This just confirms what I've been saying all along - the CAA are NOT the problem, the DfT is! Fortunately, we now have a Secretary of State who may be on side, though I suspect he has other matters on his mind at the moment! And whether he (and the Baroness for that matter) will still have their jobs by the time the regulations are due to be implemented is anybody's guess!

--

Pete

Posted by Cuban8 on 04/09/2019 10:18:14:

Can anyone give me an answer to this.......

What good in terms of aviation safety, compared to now, will be forthcoming by having 35000 BMFA members registered in the new scheme?

Anything? Anyone?

Happy to be educated....................

We need to remind ourselves, that we see our model aircraft as being different to drones, yet the legislation and regulations do not seem to make any distinction or recognise this aspect.

On this basis we could be lulled into false optimism to think we would be excluded from changes to future requirements in this area, such as carrying transponders etc.