HK Skycat?

SIMON CRAGG

Advert

Yes it is! I take it you are referring to the FlyCat. Our very own Dom has done a neat review vid here: **LINK**

The model flies and handles very well - my only real concern is that the EDF unit (being on the cheaper side of things) is very rowdy and will cause a lot of annoyance to local folks if the model is flown in parks. It's fine for club flying, if the other members don't mind the EDF whine (see some of the comments from the vid). The modern commercial EDF units sound like jets and are really cool, so I would be interested if HK brings out an ARF version of the FlyCat sometime.

Edited By KiwiKid on 11/09/2019 01:30:14

Re the noisy EDF units, try balancing the blade. This makes the units a lot smoother and quieter . I tried this on the Hk Vampire and it sounds like a proper jet. You will need a decent balance device capable of balancing small units. I bought one fro Rapid RC cost about £10 and well worth it . Various tutorials on YouTube re balancing EDF units.

I maidened my Flycat last weekend it had the nice turbine sound I have come to expect from 12 blade fans it was not screaming like Dom's. Engine Doctor is right it just needs to be re-balanced, I did it recently with a 80mm FMS 12 blade which was screaming, took a little while but well worth it as the nice turbine sound has returned.

Posted by Engine Doctor on 11/09/2019 14:33:10:
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 11/09/2019 11:00:45:

Understood.

Not having got my Flycat yet, I don,t know if it will be noisy or not.

Good info on balancing. Thx.

Before removing the fan first try simply turning the adaptor and fan on the motor shaft a 1/4 turn at a time as this often cures the screaming out of balance noise.

I am hoping that mine is balanced 100% ok on arrival!.

If not, its a case of doing as you say, and if that does not work remove and balance.

Transformed the fans on my Hawk and Vampire.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon, this esc is for air, land and helicopter models

Where much of the programming is not needed,

For fixed wing, maybe the prop brake on or off

The " mode " is switched on by moving the throttle from high to low

If your initial throttle is sensed as reversed, then you are chasing a moving target

Try reversing the throttle ( without the prop on ever )