Ageing lipos!

Nick Farrow

Hi,

I have a number of lipos that are showing something like 60-70% of their capacity. They 'sag' quickly when used and when put on a discharge/charge cycle confirm that the capacity is reduced.

I was wondering what to do with them, they can be used for flying but with such a restricted and diminishing flight time they a a bit of a liability. On the other hand they still have some useful capacity, but I have yet to find a use for them!

Time for the bin, or do you have any ideas! ??

Thanks

nick

Advert

If you still have some ic engines then they may work OK on an electric starter - saves lugging a heavy lead acid battery around. Or use in something less critical like a small rc car, perhaps?

Our bathroom radio is mains/battery but we use it with batteries. It's an ageing Roberts which should take 6 'D' cells, which would be costly, but I've modified it to take a 7 cell NiMH 3000 mAH pack. That pack has been in use for over 5 years but perhaps your old LiPos might be used in something like that.

Geoff

Like Geoff - I use a pensioned off rechargeable - in my case a 4S 2300 LiFe flight pack - so much lighter than the alternatives and never seems to need topping up ( but I do anyway, when I think about it ). I would never use the LiFe in another airframe - this one cost me a much flown ( & much loved ) hack when it browned out a Spekkie Rx when I tried go round again when I overshot a landing. I know - that's why we have timers. Carelessness costs airframes!

I've got a HobbyKing USB CHARGER. CHEAP.

Plug any 2-6s lipo, or any other li chemistry battery. It tells you the individual cell voltage. And it has a USB socket in the ther end. Currently running this I Pad.

has auto shut off, will not over discharge the lipo.

I would also second the use of old lipos for engine starters. I favour 4 s for 12 volt starters. I find it minimises switch welding.

Thanks all,

I just wanted to make sure I was not missing a trick

I am nevos of using them for household devices, like you. However I do strip them down and pick the 2 best cells and use them for a tx power source (with a voltage regulator) that seems to work for me.

Just as an aside, would you expect new packs to balance? I have had some 1800mah (nanotech) from hobbyking that wont balance, Do they accept them as returns in this case?

Regards

nick

Posted by Nick Farrow on 19/09/2019 16:54:53:

[Snip]

Just as an aside, would you expect new packs to balance? I have had some 1800mah (nanotech) from hobbyking that wont balance, Do they accept them as returns in this case?

A lot of my LiPos don't balance, they just sit there balancing on my budget charger until it times out at 120 mins. I would be more likely to blame your charger if its not a decent (£££ ) one. The way the budget ones balance is really naff - they just bung a resistor across the cells with high voltage while charging, this really isn't ideal. Trust me I was an electronics engineer for many years...

Edited By BikerDon on 19/09/2019 20:09:33

Edited By BikerDon on 19/09/2019 20:10:01