Rugby World Cup 2019.

john stones 1 - Moderator

Advert

My twin brother Pete was a Bristol Scrum Half in 1970 and got selected as a reserve for a match between the South West of England and the Springbox. It was a freezing cold match day so he was glad he did not get to play especially as there was an apartheid demonstration which included the scattering of tin tacks on the pitch.I might have a word with him to see what the prospects of winning are at the week end and report on this web site.

Small world, my then girlfriend was one of the tack ladies at that match. Did I think I was the dogs do dah to associate with such a fireball, besotted. She dumped me.

John Stones, you got yer day right. Most of us do a pizza, curry, whatever on a Saturday night.

Edited By Don Fry on 28/10/2019 16:25:49

It looks like fate may have done you a favour John with the tack scattering female , and she may have dumped you as my wife would have done me, once she discovered you were an aeromodeller ?

I spoke to Pete and his initial response was that we beat the All Blacks a team that is better than the current Springbox side so we should win the final. I asked him to what extent tactics will determine the result and he agreed that tactics have developed over the years as they have with soccer, so lets hope the coach gets it right.He did agree to scan the 1970 Springbox V South West of England program and his invitation to the after match meal, so I might add them on this site so you can identify the rugby stars from the past.

Posted by Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 27/10/2019 21:40:31:

As a Scotsman, this is really hard to say.....but best of luck to England next weekend.

However, if you do win, PLEASE don't bang on about it for the next 12 years.

'A game for thugs played by gentlemen' - and watched by gentlemen for the most part.
As an Englishmen who's lived north of the border for many years I read your post
with a wry smile Michael. wink 2
Lets see if SA can play on Saturday & are more than Faf & physicality.

Edited By Richard Wood on 31/10/2019 00:27:11

May the best team win and may the ref be fair and consistant.

Just some points that need to be considered is the fact that the Springboks are in the final despite the fact that we have quota systems in all aspects of South African life, this means that being the best does not mean you get the job. The economic situation has also resulted in many leaving South Africa to earn a living in other countries. Most of the teams at the World Cup had at least one South African in their squad and yet despite all of this the Boks are in the final!

Can't say I'm looking forward to the game in the morning, but with changes on both teams it might be interesting for the neutral observer.

I see Eng. coming through on Sat. They will offer a bit more muscle than Wales could muster last week, and hopefully a more interesting game