Taurus retro aerobatic build

Mike Bell

My KingPin follows a very similar method of construction for the fuselage. I made the decking over the tank detachable, held in place by magnets, rather than cut a hole in the bulkhead for rank access. This meant I could seal the tank bay from the rest of the fuselage. I've had tanks leak in the past, and soak the radio gear in fuel!

This made it a lot easier to hollow out that bit for tank clearance! In fact, IIRC, I built it up.

I also got the linkage for the steerable nosewheel to go internally, under the floor of the tank bay. The floor is removable for access if required.

I'll see if I can get some pix and put them up later.

--

Pete

Advert

My only regret with the decking is not weighing it before shaping. I was worried it would be a bit heavy but after coarse shaping and hollowing before gluing to the fuz it weighed 2 and one eighth of an ounce.

Access to the tank is pretty good without having to cut a hatch and the rx will be mounted high up so shouldn't get fuel soaked if the worst happens.

I got the Oracover yesterday so now I need to decide on the final scheme. Always the hardest bit of most builds.

Here's some tank bay detail on mine:

The hatch is held in place (very securely!) by 3 magnets, two at the back and one at the front, making access a doddle!

The hatch itself is part block, part built up:

I built it square initially, installed the magnets, and then carved it to shape once it could be "installed".

The floor of the tank bay is screwed to bearers for access to the steerable nosewheel linkage:

My nosewheel is bolted to the rear of the firewall (just visible at the front of the tank bay), with the linkage under the floor and out of sight.

I use the rudder servo for the nosewheel too:

(topmost in the frame)

The linkage has a large Z-bend under the tank, which takes the piano-wire pushrod from one side of the fuselage to the other. This provides the necessary springiness to protect the servo, but still provides surprisingly accurate steering control on the ground.

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 09/04/2020 16:12:14

With respect to the tailplane structure, I think that it is a method that was popular in the 80s. The Airtronics Aquila and similar designs in that range of gliders used that style of taiplane. I built one like that for an Aquila last year.

Much lighter than sheet and also a lot less expensive balsa used which could have been an issue in those times.

Maxg

Very chunky old fashioned build. To think that we all made them like that in those days in the hope that they were crash proof to an extent certainly brings back memories. I remember a guy writing off a beautifully finished Taurus due to the dodgy gear of the day. He jumped up and down on the remaining intact wing panel and could not break it!

Hi Maxg, I think weight saving is a likely reason, long tail moment and all that. I think it is also designed such that the film is attached at the LE, TE and centre sheet but above the ribs so that the ribs don't show. I daresay it will make for a nice smooth finish, I'll find out soon.

I finally decided to glue the tail to the fuz before covering so I can get the triangular fin fillets in place and blended, but I can leave the fin off until the covering is done.

img_6027.jpg

Fillets roughly in place.......

img_6077.jpg

......and faired in.

Spent the last couple of days sanding, applying sanding sealer, sanding again etc. Was pretty pleased with the progress until I spotted my deliberate mistake. I forgot to fit the elevator joiner wire before finishing the fillets etc angry

Hi Peter, the colours are white on top and a light orange (golden yellow) underneath. I'll bling it up with cut vinyl details. I have a picture in my head but it will no doubt change as the covering progresses. I'm a bit concerned about how much covering this thing is eating, I might run out.

I was privileged to ride shotgun for Leon at Buckminster when he maidened the prototype Belaire Taurus kit as he was understandably nervous - but its a fine flyer, smooth and stable, not slow but very steadily paced, and a terrific sight in the air, Kaz would be proud.

Cheers
Phil

Mike, I think that you may well have trouble seeing it in the proposed scheme, especially against a cloudy sky. A clubmate has a Dalotel in similar colours and it just disappears. You are unlikely to be able to see the decals either.

I have a 1/4 scale Mew Gull in white with large lettering on the wings and fus. and can only fly it in blue sky conditions.

I appreciate your thoughts guys but I'm committed now. The orangey yellow undersides are pretty bright and I rarely have a plane upright for long so I hope that will do. I used to have a Gangster 52 in a similar scheme that I could keep track of OK, but there again my eyes were younger. Will just have to wait and see.

The long wing is a bit of a handful when covering but just one panel to go now.

• 2 weeks later...

So here it is covered and trim applied. Needs the engine bay painting and the fitting out done, but getting near the end now. Not sure about the dark canopy frame colour, I might replace it with something lighter.

I don't know whether the decoration will aid the visibility issue that Martin raised but I think it looks pretty anyway.

img_6083.jpg

img_6084.jpg

img_6085.jpg

Hi Mike - looks good. I am a little behind with my build, partly due to waiting for balsa wood, being on lockdown and having an excess of time, and more importantly having two models on the go - the second model is the SLEC Fun fly ( which goes together much quicker than the Taurus)

I have just added top TE sheeting on both P&S wings - progress.

Cheers

Dean

No problem Alan, my son is called Martin so I'm used to people getting the names crossed.

David, I assume you are referring to the "Monkey" business? Well, here's another load of bull smiley. More scope for horror (Taurus - horoscope, geddit?). I think this lock down is starting to get to me.