Chilli jam or chutney

Don Fry

I have just made, from donated materials, a sweet, tart, and hot concoction.

Ingredients, quince, fresh hot chilli peppers, cider vinegar, sugar. Chopped up. Boiled. Add sugar, and set as a jam.

But what to name it. I am enclined to call it quince and chilli jam ( posh, configure de coings et piments). Beloved, a non cook in this area, says it's a chutney, due to the presence of vinegar, hence quince and chilli chutney.

I am showing a OCD trait, but to me is as central to soul as discussions regarding the differences between DSMX and DSM2.

Thoughts? Consult Swmbo's, and beloved's

Advert

Hi Don,

I used to prepare some of those 'goodies' some time ago. I used different recipes from Louisana's creole grand'mums, from Indonesia including sweet soya sauce and from ex-Belgian Congo with manioc roots and whisky...

In fact they had just chillies (mostly the 'heavy' Scottish Bonnet) as common ingredient and looked all 'devil's reddish'. devil

I finished to stop searching names for them and called them all > 'HOT STUFF'...

... but indeed 'relish' is sounding very educated...

Cheers

Chris

CHILLI AND QUINCE JAM (RELISH)

200 g hot chilli

400 ml cider vinegar

1 kg ordinary sugar

600 g Peeled and cored quince

Put vinegar in pan. Fine chop the quince, one at a time, in a food processor, and immediately put in the vinegar, to prevent browning. Bring to simmer for 20 minutes. Add sugar, and return to boil. Fine chop chilli in food processor, add to pan.

Boil to a set. Took about 10 to 15 minutes to get a set. Take care, this one sticks near set temperature, so a stir every minute or so is good.

Quince is a high pectin fruit. Replace with Bramley?

it would please and challenge a Jalfeezi eater. Nice with bacon sarni perhaps. Mixed with soy, a dipping sauce.

Try a marmalade of strawberry, saville orange, and fish sauce. That goes on toast. Or duck. Or mackerel.

But in fairness, on toast, you have got to like this combination. But the Romans liked fish sauce with everything.

Got a recipe for the Quince and Ginger, got a bucket full of quince?

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 18/10/2019 19:41:04:

Good grief a lot of flyers must be suffering Cabin Fever with all this rain. wink

Yup.

Can we have an emoji with an umbrella please mods ?

(anybody got a good recipe for ginger nuts ?)

Edited By kevin b on 18/10/2019 19:50:03