5s / motor

rcaddict

Advert

Using 5s rather than 4s means the motor would try to run approximately 25% faster and draw a lot more current. You would have to use a much smaller prop to keep the current down to acceptable levels. You would then need to make sure the motor (and the prop) were safe at this higher rpm.

Not a good idea unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Dick

Others more knowledgeable may give you a better answer, but I would say it is possible, by several methods.

1) Using existing prop, limit throttle travel on 5s so that you do not exceed 4s rpm and current draw values.

OR

2) Re-prop accordingly so that you do not exceed maximum current rating of motor and ESC.

3) I am no expert. Wait for others to comment.

Edit: Dick beat me to it.

Edited By Jason-I on 02/11/2019 10:12:46

Posted by rcaddict on 02/11/2019 10:11:47:

yeah i can prop it down and the esc would be ok my worry is if the motor could handle the voltage, i would not need full throttle

Edited By rcaddict on 02/11/2019 10:12:32

Voltage is unimportant. It's the max current that matters. Also, don't forget that the throttle controls the voltage - hence limiting the throttle would limit the voltage.

Edited By Jason-I on 02/11/2019 10:17:14

The motor would have no problem with the voltage - it is current and rpm that are the problem with motors. The manufacturers voltage ratings (recommendations) are aimed at ensuring sensible current and rpm are achieved in practice with normal sized props.

The ESC should be rated to at least the expected full throttle current even if you do not intend to use full throttle. The ESC does not limit current, it pulses it, and part throttle is harder work for an ESC thna full throttle.

Dick

You need to measure the results with a decent meter in some short test runs before deciding if it will be OK and what prop to use.

I would have said that a 10x6 was for 3s, and a 9x6 for 4s. For 5s I think an 8x6 would be a goood prop to begin tests with.

55 amps seems quite high for a 3536 size motor.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 02/11/2019 10:47:53

Voltage is a real limit for the ESC components but not so much for the motor.

Provided the load is kept within the maximum specification amps (amps alone dictates the heat generated) the voltage is not a issue although at some point the motor will start to suffer from the higher rpm, likely the bearings first or at extreme rpm it could throw a winding.

The winding insulation can also break down but you are up to many hundred volts before that is likely.

The manufacturer sets the advised limit at 4 s as the life of the motor is likely to be acceptable as far as warranty claims are concerned. wink 2

Even keeping the same amps the motor at 5s will develop about 30% more power but as Gordon points out smaller higher revving props are less efficient so you won't see all of that extra in flight but with the same battery weight the flight duration will decrease by at least that figure, if not more! smile o

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 02/11/2019 12:22:07