Returning to the hobby

Ok, creating a new model and binding receivers seems pretty straightforward. If you can use Taranis like that without getting into LUA scripts, bootloaders, flashing and all other mysteries that I read about then fine. If I buy a Taranis transmitter which works with present receivers, will it work in a few years time with newer receivers? It’s the updating bit that worries me. I can update my Spektrum transmitterwith an SD card and it works with all my receivers. No compatibility issues or need for ‘flashing’.

That's the problem Buster, you only hear of the 'problems' which usually happen when people don't follow the instructions or advice given by some very helpful people here on this forum! Will it work in a few years time with newer RXs? all I can say is that I've had my 'older' Taranis for 4 years and have about 40+ RXs, some old, some new but all are working with the 'old Taranis, the new Taranis and the Horus. Have I had to flash any off them, yep, was it a problem, nope, I flash the RXs using the TX. I download the new firmware, copy it onto the TX (SD card), plug the RX into the TX then flash. There are loads and loads of videos on Youtube showing how to do it if your are a bit anxious! But remember, you don't have to keep up to date with the latest firmware, if the version you have works for you then fine.

You mentioned LUA scripts, of course that is where the likes of OpenTx and Jeti come into their own as that gives them fantastic power and flexibility. I use LUA scripts for the programming for my F3K and F5J gliders, hellishly complex programs (over 30 odd mixes, flight modes etc) but all made really easy by the use of LUA. But you don't have to use it!!!!

I like the idea of being able to set up a plane, see the controls work and all auxiliary switches on a lap top and then load it onto the Tx. Anyone do that?

Having just written the above, I’m not going to spend hours/days swapping all my fleet onto a new Tx and buy new Rxs just to keep up with the latest gear. My Futaba 9cap and 2.4 module will serve for many years yet....

Oh yes, Companion (PC / MAC based software) is your friend and does exactly that, create a new model in it with all the mixes, special functions etc you want, make sure it’s correct then load onto TX. But for a lot of people they just want to use the TX, which is fine, and easy.

Thanks for explaining that Ron. I admit I've been put off Taranis by reading about the hassles people have. I can see that it's possible to create your own complicated set ups which would be impossible with other radios. It depends on whether you need all that flexibility, for simpler planes I probably don't so for now I'll stay with Spektrum.

@Buster - no problem, just trying to bust some of these myths that are created!

I suppose you have to ask yourself why do you want to change from your Spektrum gear, if it's only change for change sake then tbh don't! If you want a basic TX and you're happier with the 'devil you know' then stick with Spektrum, nowt wrong with them. If you want something that gives you flexibility (programming wise) and you want value for money, then FrSky, Jumper, if money aint a problem and you still want that flexibility then Jeti.

Bottom line is whatever you choose won't be a wrong choice!

In over 40 years of rc flying I have never had any brand loyalty. I have bought my radios based on the looks, feel and functionality of the TX. In that time I have had Scratch built, kit built , Skyleader, Sanwa, Hitec, Jr and Spektrum.

Which was the best? None was better than the other. On each occaission when I went to buy a set of radio I preferred a different make. I have crashed hundreds of times but Never due to any radio related issues with the exceptions of battery and switch related issues. The last time I bought radio I Could not make my mind up between Futaba and Spektrum so bought both. Futaba T8j and Spektrum DX8. I must admit I preferred the Spekky in many ways the Futaba looked and felt cheap and tacky. But 7 years down the line both sets of radio have performed impeccably

There is another thread on this forum at the moment. A ex airline pilot bought a Taranis and couldn't get his head round it! An ex airline pilot used to hierarchy process management, and gave the set to his son who could use it.

I can use it, as have a Taranis, myself, but although I know 3 programming languages (just got a Raspberry Pi up and running - my first one), and my head aches trying to do get round the logic, but once you do, far better than Spektrum and the rest, but have to get your head round it, like doing a mathematical equation , once you get it, it all falls into place.

if you prefer to fly than fiddle around, then recommended to stay clear for now.

However, if you are bored, then looks like you have plenty of time to learn it...cool