Will this work ok?

Jon

Advert

If I was you I would very slowly charge it up at say 1/4 C outside/ in a safe place for it to catch fire. If it charges sucsessfully, discharge it very slowly, and repeat at a slightly higher C rating. Repeat this until it is at its normal kind of condition. Also, make sure it is handeled carefully, as the internat connections could be mm from touching each other. A more sensible solution would be to dispose of it carefully. I do not take any responsibility for anything that might happen. Hope it lives to fly again,

birdy

From all your comments it looks like its proving to be a more costly crash than some of my clubs members were thinking... They said ,and others have too , that a low charge and discharge will indicate if its going to fly once more. I have also heard that rolling pin 's have been used in the past to reshape bent Lipos...  No... I wont be trying that!

Think I may just set it up for a charge in the middle of our back yard with the video camara running... It may make an interesting clip! 

Roll up, Roll up, Roll up... "Veiwing tickets will be available at just £2.50 each.. funds collected will be donated to Jon's new battery fund"

oooh I could just say a few things ....but my words would only get deleted and I'd be banned from this forum

great hobby jon

Now I think I am going to upset some of you? or am I going to upset some you?

I took your advice and decided to bin it but then set it up to discharge it prior to its disposal.I set up my video camera just in case there was any spectacular reaction....but nothing....It showed no signs of being electrically damage so I set it up for a slow charge and it did!... a further discharge at a much higher rate was then carried out. Still no problem showed up..

Its undergoing a full rate balanced charge at this very moment and has now taken well over 4000 mA so far... It’s not even getting warm !!!!...

Hopeful Jon... standing by for your backlash

Jon - it may well accept and deliver a charge, but that does not mean it is safe. The reason most of us advised you to bin it was not because we thought it may not perform, but it is very likely to be unstable chemically. LiPo cells are not constructed using metal canisters like the older nickel based cells - rather flimsy and thin "pouches". The electrolyte paste within could easily start to finfd its way out through what is clearly a severely damaged ( physically) package. Personally I would be very uncomfortable in having this thing in my premises, also there could easily be fractured connection within the battery and this could let go at  any time with potentially diastrous results - my advice is unchanged - BIN IT

..... Thank you Timbo.....Its on its way out... I will ask advice from my local tip tomorrow.... 

da da dida      dadi dadi dadi da         da da dida      dadi dadi dadi da....

Sadly I must report that this £114.00 battery was pronounced dead at 17:46 on the 3rd Sep 2008 after receiving much love, care and plenty of first aid from Dr Jon as best as he could give. May this ticking time bomb R.I.P.

The Moral of this story is:- "When doing a nose dive, level out a bit earlier"

As a last resort Jon you could try emailing a picture to flightpower and get their verdict - I am sure it will be the same as they would not want any liability should a problem occur....but you never know - they might do a special price for a replacement? Its worth asking as it will cost nowt.