TN Hurricane

Marko

Hi Rob

Well that's the theory I work on,we have a throttle control,I did a lot of thinking about what size engine to put into the model,I built the Mick Reeves hurri back in the late 70's and had a good old Merco61 on the front and that just about flew it,the same with the Brian Taylor Mk1A spit,so I think a 91fs is a good bet because this is a slightly smaller and lighter model.Well it will all come out in the wash next wed 5th May as I'll will go for a maiden,but I get a feeling when I build a model weather or not it's going to be ok and the hurri feels pretty good,just hope I have'nt got to eat my own words now

Chris

Advert

Right never mind this being a winter project - Ive started already! Fuse done as far a jigging stage but need to sort out a jig first.

Just about to start on wings, I have the CNC wood pack. Is there only supposed to be 1 central rib (W1) the plan seems to indicate 2?

im sure this will be one of many questions , its been a while since i have built a model thanks for the advice

I have checked out the free plan and on there there is only 1. On the plan i bought with the CNC pack there seems to be 2 laminated (as chris has done). I think i will need to cutout another myself.

Also what is the best way to cut the leading edges from the sheet?

I said i would have questions

Hi Rob, I did the same as Chris and made another W1 rib.

As for the leading edges, I cut them way oversize while the wing was still pinned down. Then I pinned the LE down to the board and up against the wing ribs. Once everything was dry it was a simple matter of attacking the leading edges with a razor plane to the required shape. I did the same for the TE and the Tailplane. Ended up with a completely warp-free wing.
Very satisfying it was too!

My CNC pack and wood pack arrived today, I'm off to write part numbers on all the bits now! 
I'm still not clear on the retracts though, I take it that I can buy mechanical retracts and then slot sprung oleo's into them?  The sprung legs do look a lot better.

Hi guys,

Been away on my honeymoon so build has been on the back burner,
but had a great time.
Nice to see a few more  people building the Hurricane to.
I have installed retracts and sheeted top of wing and middle of bottom wing,
And yippie my canopy has arrived just before i went away so was nice
quick service. Shall get some photos up tomorrow.
Hows everyone else getting on?

Cheers Bryan

Hi Chris, now that you've finished yours perhaps I can pick your brains a bit?

As far as the tail fin is concerned, I can see how it is attached to the tailplane but how is the whole assembly attached to the tail of the fuselage?

Cheers,

Doug.

ps, the weather ain't much better up here in the North East of Scotland!

Hi Doug
   All I did was to glue the tail to the there upright's thats the two 3mm balsa outer fusalage fairings and the 3mm liteply centre upright,then when they were dry I glued the fin in which locks on to the fuz and tail.looks abit dogdy but it as strong as.

Hi Chris,

Yes weather has turned alright very cold too i must say.
It,s a shame when you finished and can't fly would be driving me nuts.lol
Have not done much more to cold in the garage at night.
But will have to brave it so close to getting fin myself
Got wing fillets to do cover bottom of wing then sand sand sand
to get a good finish.
What did you cover yours in.?

cheers Bryan
 edited for language - no  swearing please Bryan ta

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 11/05/2009 09:38:22

Can I check something please?  I've got the basic frame and spine all stuck together and the 3 longerons along the front to support the sheeting.  Its says to add former 4a which is the plate at the rear of the cockpit.  My longerons have splayed wider than the pre cut 4A and there is only a tiny area of contact.  Do I pull the sides in and make 4A fit?  I thought about making the cockpit floor now as this would give increased glueing area allowing the stress to be carried in a piece of wood bigger than 4A.  Any suggestions please?
Thanks

Hi Bucksboy,

I had exactly the same thing happen to mine. I ended up cutting F4A down the middle and adding a bit of ply about 1/4" wide between the two halves. That way it sat properly between the stringers.and fuselage sides. I thought this would affect the fit of the vac-formed canopy but it looks pretty good so far. 

This is why I like this forum, if we didn't have problems/niggles when building from someone else's plans then it wouldn't be any fun would it?

Doug
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try that method too.  Where did you buy your retracts from and where are you hiding the air tank?  What size tank have you fitted?  I've seen some on Giant Cod but I'm worried about where to sit the tank.

BB

I got them from Hobby King. I think I'm going to have to sit the tank on top of the wing centre section as there is no room to fit it inside.

Initially, I had connected the supply to the three-way valve on the wrong side of the flow restrictor so the operation was a tad aggressive to say the least. I've sorted that little problem but now there is an air leak that I can't trace!