TN Hurricane

Marko

Attempt at 50% reduced plan build.

Progress to date (main wing) build. Wing `cord extended by 10 mm.

Also wing tips extended by 5mm, this to increase wing area a little.

At this small scale trying to gain a little in the lower speed envelope.

Very time consuming to shape all the ribs from scratch , milk carton material

& marker pen help here to transfer from plan to wood. Once made can be saved.

And easy then, to rebuild if needed in the future.

Attempt at 50% reduced plan build.

Wing ribs of course all have to be extended 10 mm. Slow but will stick at it !!

.. Best wishes. Keith.  

• 3 weeks later...

50% Reduced Plan Build.

All the difficult ribs ready now for assembly.

Main wing coming together nicely now
tricky .. `dihedral, markers (under tips) help to get it correct!

Still a lot of shaping/sanding yet to do before skinning,
but nice to be able to see now what the finished airframe will look like!!

Best wishes .. Keith.     

In response to Glenn's post on 15/2/09. Hello all, yes, I am building one (much more slowly than all you power-builders out there). I did put a post onto this thread sometime before Christmas with a bit of explanation about it and me.

The fuselage is progressing slowly - I'm about to add sheeting to the second half of the front topside, then will complete the upper stringers and the bottom stringers. Having relatively little build experience of anything like this, the two stages I've found tricky so far have been: 1) working out the shape needed and bending the tail fairing, and 2)  bending the sheeting for the front topside (including getting my head round what happens round the cockpit and F4A).

Progress will continue to be slow.........!

Bill

Hello Bill,

You must have overcome your F1 problem.
Glad to say it is not a race, 75% of the fun is in the build with satisfaction from working out how it all goes together.
if it helps make a paper template (slightly smaller) so the cockpit is symetrical, you can always make it bigger later.
one more tip, sort out the control rods before you do all the stringers (hope im not to late with that one), plenty of water on the outside will make the balsa swell and bend then is lots of rubber bands followed by wood glue and pins,sorry if i am stating the obvious but some might find it useful.  good luck.

Glenn

Thanks for the welcome and advice, that's encouraging!

Out of interest, what would the "F1 problem" have been? I took quite a while over this stage (distant memory now = before Xmas). As I recall, I was a little concerned about having to bend the fuselage sides in to grip F1 securely, so beefed up each sides'  bonding a bit with a little wing-joiner fibreglass mat plus thin resin - wasn't worried about slightly extra weight up front in view of where C of G needs to be.

Your tip about the control rods isn't too late, as I've still to add the top and bottom stringers, so can still access it - thanks for that, that's really helpful !

Bending - your advice is gratefully received, and is more or less where I'd got to - very reassuring to read it !

Its a complicated business, this "building" activity, isn't it?!!    I would have posted a photo yesterday, but couldn't quickly see how to do it after clicking the logo. I will investigate later .....

Bill

HI BIll,

It's looking good, Glad i was of some help, there is never enough room in the magazine write ups to tell you everything.  you might also want to think about how you will fix the tailwheel assembly?..just a thought while its still open and accessible.
   Nice to see it looks the same as mine at that stage... very reassuring. good luck.

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...
A question to help build in a slightly different way - foam wings - Can anyone let me know what the height of the wingtips from the building board is when the wing is complete and the centre section is flat, please? To cut foam wings, the dihedral brace isn't really precise enough to set up the templates on the foam block. Many thanks.
Toni

Question re the tailplane - the plan quotes the top and bottom spars as being from "3mm square", but I assume they should be from 6mmx3mm?

(I've held off from completing the fuselage top and bottom stringers until I've got a tailplane, so that I can work out my pushrod arrangements).

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Glenn,

Thanks, here we go then!  The tailplane and wing will be the first built-ups that I've built, as everything else I've done so far have been veneered foam-core ........

I've vague ideas about having the elevator pushrod work internally on the torque rod so that its not seen, but I suspect that may be a refinement too far for me. Does anyone have any  thoughts or experience of this? Or do you all just do this routinely?

Bill

Hi Guys,
New to this site and looking for help building  this Hurricane.
First time for a complete scratch build.
So hope you don't mind me joining in and asking a few questions .
My first prob is im building the tailplane and elevator.

Did you guys cut the inner and trailing edge  to shape.  or
just make it the same size as T1 all the way to T5 and just sand
the taper.  And same on elevator  trailing and leading  edge and   those little ribs
ribs that go on the elevator.
looks like a lot of work cutting out each little rib to shap. for the elevator or cut close
enough and sand again.
wow that was alot already 
I have looked at the photos on here and have seen so much that has helped alredy
like the say a picture is worth a thousnd words.

I hope this is looking right

Hello Bryan,

Welcome aboard , as you have already found there are lots of different ways of doing things, none of them right or wrong...its a case of what works for you.

I stick the leading and trailing edges then sand, just be careful not to catch the ribs.

the elevator ribs are done by cutting 3mm strip, sticking then sanding (with the grain or they snap off ) and dont forget to add a block both sides for the elevator horn and screws .

If you have seen the pics then you have read the text so far... thats good.

Keep us updated with photos of your progress, i for one am interested in how it is going.

Good luck.  Glenn

Hi there Glenn,

Thanks alot for the hello and advice.
That makes more sense than trying to cut them all out to shape bit by bit..
This is such a awesome looking plane and can't wait to get more done
and go fly. But as always first things first have to build it.

Shall keep you informed and photos how it's all going
and more than likely asking lots of question's.
so thanks for the welcome..

Thanks Bryan

Hi Bryan,

I've just looked at your pics - looks very similar to what I'd happened to have just done yesterday evening! I agree with what Glenn posted, ie stick first and then sand. Just expect to disappear in clouds of balsa dust (be careful), but I find it very satisfying!

If you haven't got a Permagrit sanding block, personally I really would invest in one (they seem to last extremely well), I find it makes getting the shapes so much easier.

I haven't moved on to doing the elevators or rudder yet - to be continued!

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill
Glad to see your on your way to.
i have covered mine now and have built one side of the elevators
lots of sanding alright but well worth it.
Getting quite excited about this build.
Was starting to build a little on fuse but for got to buy
the tri balsa for it so come to a holt on that..
shall get some more photos up tomorrow.. 

Hi Bryan,

As I've not done so much of this type of stuff before, you might like to see my post on 20/2/09 re the stages of the fuselage that I found the hardest.
Also, when starting off glueing the formers onto the side pieces, check accuracy of angles/alignment in every dimension several times (!) before the glue sets - I wished I'd marked the centre lines on the formers to help with that stage!

Hope that helps you.

Bill