TN Hurricane

Marko

Hi Charles

Great shame about the Prang ! Looks like your getting on well with the repairs .

The down side of electric versus  - ic is you can hear when an engine cuts .

Did you build any washout into the wings ?

Regards

Ray

Hello Ray,

I never built any washout into the wings however,  I did raise the ailerons up.

I will have my model repaired within two weeks, I have spent nearly eighty pounds on new materials for it.

Yours aye

Charles 

Hi Glenn,

Your model looks great. It's interesting to see an IC version. Do you have an estimate of your AUW?

I have put a new battery in my scales and it looks as if my model is going to be lighter after it's re-build.  The weight of my model without the church roof in the front is 8Lbs.

I recieved my 100amp wire from ashtec electronics. It came within 24 hours, there is plenty of cable to do several models.

My model is rebuilt and ready to fly again, I have just to paint the wings and touch up the fus.

Charles.

Hi Jim,

Try these, they work great and don't cost a fortune. I used them on my Hurricane....Just cut the legs down to the correct length. My wheels tuck nicely away and flush with the wing. They have an axle you can adjust for height and tracking.

Retracts

Tony uses retracts from Unitracts International . He advocated their use when I spoke to him on the phone.

These retracts appear to be custom made and I guess they will come at a price.

Unitracts

Yours aye

Charles.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the encoraging comments, i felt your pain Charles...as we all did, when you said yours had gone in. glad its been rebuilt.

I have chucked the whole lot on the scales and mine comes in at 7lb 6ozs thats everything but the covering and paint.

A couple more photos as i have done the wing fairings.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/34551/IMG_5227_copy.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/34551/IMG_5229_copy.jpg

Hi everyone. About the retracts; I am going to use theese... Cheap, but looks great!!! They are originally for a 46 size plane, but this hurricane is so light it will not be a problem. And the best part, you dont have to fiddle around with linkage to a retract servo, as they are servoless...

Just store the wheels that follows for later and buy som larger...

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8342&Product_Name=Digital_Servoless_Adjustable_Landing_Gear_set__

Geir

Attempt at 50% reduced plan build.

Nice to get back to the modelling again whole new year to  go   at .. Pilot remodelled remember (head only 15mm) not easy, but happy with the results.

Some pictures here for anyone interested in this (50% reduced plan trial).

See my Album pics for more info.

.. Keith.

LIPO here will be max forward .. Should help with the final CG position.

Not as easy as it was  ... to add to this thread !!   at this time.  But will 'Go with the flow' change is never easy  ... at the best of times .

Best wishes to all  .......    Keith. 

Well my Hurricane is fully repaired and painted. 

The AUW appears to be 9.5lb, much lighter than it was before it was crashed when the scales indicated the model weighed 11lbs. I put this down to a battery in the scales which was almost depleted. I have managed to get my balast much further forward, I wrapped lead flashing over the top of the motor mount and may place a little more on the underside of the cowling flush with the profile and paint it to match the cowling.  You can wrap lead around the motor mount legs which helps to keep everything forward and ultimately less balast!

I dont' have a battery tray. I have the battery mounted at 45 degrees with the bottom of the battery sitting at the base of the firewall. I keep the battery in place with a length of 9mm spruce which is mounted across the fuselage and is held in place by a bracket on either side, one side which has a rotating lock that allows me to remove the bar which holds the battery in place. This system works very well and has enabled me to get the battery  further forward.

Charles.

finally finished covering the hurri and epoxied the tail.  I'm going to paint it in SEAC colours (South East Asian Command) and fit a dust filter under the cowl (prev pics)  Any hints from anyone on painting if i dont have an airbrush??  Do i use spray cans or just the plain old brush??? Any help would be appreciated.

Working through the Power Train now, all connectors soldered (3.5mm bullet) used.

Heat shrink from (www.smcsuk.co.uk) exceptional value from this site. £2.65GBP inc

Postage. (UK). (for 3 -1meter strips Red Black Blue). Watt meter initial test using 8 x 4

E/f prop fresh charged battery gave: Max throttle 176 W .. 15.20 Amps.

(well inside the combo spec), reduced throttle to 100w pulling 9A. Motor is rated Up

to 250W will try to get around 200W using other prop sizes/shapes. 9 x 4 prop

Will still give (ground clearance) for ROG.

After numerous max throttle bursts .. Lipo / ESC / motor, just warm.

.. Keith.   

Be sure to colour code motor Esc connections correctly!

I also had to reverse the throttle servo on the TX channel 3

It took me a while to work this reversal out..

Ha ha .. Wondered why the motor would not run? As . I had

the throttle stick on the TX full down and was just getting the

BEEP.. BEEP

.. Keith.    

Hi Timbo. & friends.

In answer to your question Tim. Est. AUW. With everything in the fuselage.

Main wing, (not built yet) but with all the main components for it, inc 2 - servos (ailerons), 1- servo retracts + (bespoke sprung) U/C & wheels, 1- servo -`flaps (still to be decided). Actual weight is: 1 lb 2 ½ oz.

Have deliberately left the main wing build till last, needing to get the est. AUW as accurate as possible. The span is only 31 on this 50% reduced plan. So depending on weight / wing area, dimensions of main wing can still be increased slightly if needed. (Plan A). Still thinking through this one.

So AUW in the region of 1 ½ lbs will not be far away. (using the 100W per LB yardstick ) the power train looks good.

Decided to try my own home made bespoke, sprung UC, these may prove to be a little too light for this project, but know how to do it now! at under £5.00p a pair, can build stronger when needed.