The Few Are One Fewer

David Davis

Yes ! Condolences to family ! We will never see their like again and I hope we never need to ! Just my opinion , but this was possibly the most important battle fought by our armed forces. It ranks alongside the Armada , Trafalgar , Waterloo !Thankfully our engineers , RAF Commanders , Pilots etc formed a cohesive team that just managed to defend our country ! Other opinions are available !😈😈 Colin

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 10/12/2019 14:14:17

David

This came as quite a shock. Maurice was my godfather and somehow, and I don't know how, my family lost contact. The photos are quite unmistakably of him although my memories are from a long time back. I remember him as a quiet reserved man but with a warn smile and clearly something very special going on inside. He must also have had considerable patience with the demands I surely would have made of him as a small and boisterous child.

It is extraordinary that I did not know about his wartime experiences and plight but this seems to be a resounding feature of these brave people who simply saw it as their duty. Youngsters themselves drawn into the most horrific of circumstances in all ranks in all forces. I am sad but hope that he enjoyed his long life.

As it happens, my other godfather was a pilot too but after the war. He died about 10 years ago but as a test pilot mainly involved on the English Electric Lightning that required a certain type of courage also.

I am humbled by these people and will reflect while I putting together my next model aircraft.

Bye Bye Maurice from Tim.

Posted by paul d on 10/12/2019 14:58:21:

156 views and one reply...poor show, if it wasn't for chaps like this things would have been very different...

Sorry about that but my platitudes would sound pathetic against the sacrifices and courage displayed by the whole of his generation. Please allow my thoughts to suffice.

Thanks for the link, David. The generation of soldiers (understandably) didn't talk much about those times, it seems it was the same in Britain as in Germany. But their kids were old enough and fully aware of what was happening during and after WWII and they speak quiet frankly about their experiences. One has to talk with them as long as they are here to tell their stories. Many interesting things to hear, especially when they come from different countries.

Best wishes from Germany,
Timo