FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX

Kevin Fairgrieve

Andy,

As I mentioned earlier I was not undertaking this upgrade (16 jan) until it had been debugged and a new version issued. That said I have not seen any reports of Suitably updated Rx’s not binding.
I did not know about today’s releases of Tx and Rx firmware until I read your post. I see it is there now but will still wait for good reports before doing it so Not sure I can help you.

What I would do in your position is upgrade the Tx firmware to 1.306 as issued in December and make sure that works. That functionality I can vouch for as I have been running it since it came out.

Tim

Advert

Well did try 1.3.06 and could not get it to bind to the upgraded RX8R Pro, so was reluctant to try another Rx as it was a right pain to even find the old Rx software on the FRSky site to revert to a working version.

The moral to apply here with these upgrades is to save the original files before change. If I had not done this I would not have been able to revert the Tx to 1.3.04 Beta as the version I down loaded from the FRSky site did not work at all.

Interested to see if anyone posts that they have 1.3.06 working.

By the way Tim upgrading Rx's is easy, but the method described on that FRSKY crib 'how to' is wrong. Rx upgrades are done by selecting Files from the system page and then selecting the appropriate file on the SD firmware folder and then selecting update.

Andy,

The December issue of 1.3.06 is fine. It did not include the iXJT upgrade and did not need the Rx upgrade.

I assume the iXJT upgrade from the jan release would be removed if you re flashed with an older firmware but this is new ground for me so I can not be certain. Certainly the December release would not work with the upgraded Rx.

The Rx upgrade process change is I guess not unexpected as the System Files capability was only added in the December release.

Absolutely right about keeping backups of old versions, I have all my Working Rx firmware files archived.

Sure more help will come as folks assess the virtue of the latest release.

Tim

Mike,

I see this from the github testing

Sounds like there are still problems despite the full release. Any advice?

1. Receiver XM/XMP
  • RSSI output wild fluctuation
  • SBUS output FS bit is not set correctly
  1. Receiver G-RX8/G-RX6
  • Telemetry data peak issue
  1. Receiver S6R/S8R
  • S8R quick mode startup slowly
  • S8R works with RB20 without telemetry back
  • S8R Aileron Inversion Problem in V-Tail-mode

Andy,

You select the bin file according to name that matches your setup . Yesterday’s release has 3 options EU, NEU and Flex. EU means LBT so that is the one you should pick. Some upgrades also select by mode but I am not sure why.

Always bearing in mind I have only ever undertaken 3 firmware upgrades so they might do something different each time. Release notes are to say the least ‘ very brief’.

Tim

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 25/03/2020 16:17:21

Well got to the bottom of the issue I had which was mixing up non EU and LBT versions of the Tx software (or at least that was what I think I did incorrectly.) Anyway now have 1.3.07 running on the Tx and working with one of my Rx's so now need to do the others.

Posted by Tim Ballinger on 25/03/2020 12:10:05:

Mike,

Not a lot! I've been testing with and X9D and a X9D+ with a X8R. Those all seem to be working fine.

I don't have any XM/XMP receivers so I can't test those.

I do have a G-RX8 and a G-RX6 but those are on ACCESS for testing that at present.

I'll see if I can test a S8R tomorrow.

Mike

Posted by Mike Blandford on 25/03/2020 22:42:24:
Posted by Tim Ballinger on 25/03/2020 12:10:05:

Mike,

Not a lot! I've been testing with and X9D and a X9D+ with a X8R. Those all seem to be working fine.

. . . .

Thank you Mike and the others who have been involved in the debugging and testing of this firmware.

As just a simple user, without an in-depth knowledge of electronics, when will I be able to have confidence that the new firmware will be more reliable than the old? After all, my X9D with v1 firmware has 'seemed to be working fine' for the past two years or so that I've owned it. Reading this and other threads on the subject, it seemed like we're getting there, but under the intense scrutiny of many experts it now seems that other problems are arising other than the original uncommanded servo movement.

Allan,

Just my view you understand.

if you check the Rx’s noted above that still have bug reports and you do not use them then I think it is probably time to implement the latest firmware release for Tx and Rx’s. Personally I use a Grx6 which is in the list but the odd spike in telemetry value does not worry me and has probably always been there. The miniature Rx (XM series) looks more concerning , to my eyes these mainly input into flight controllers via Sbus . I do not use those. If you use stabilised Rx,s then there looks to be some issues to sort out.

Tx dependant issues were the big one at the first release, I am seeing less ( perhaps none) of those reports now but as I am a Horus user on FrOS I tend to concentrate on anything in my camp .

I am in still in no rush to update but I will do it in the next few weeks if nothing drastic is flagged up.

None of that may help you but that’s where I am atm.

Tim

Thanks Tim for your view, which is probably better informed than I am smiley

I have a few SxR receivers as well as XsR and, IIRC, a couple of XM using SBUS to flight controllers. I understand that, if I update my Tx firmware, I'll have to update all my Rxs, so it seems to me I'm better off waiting a while more because of the question marks over my XMs and SxRs.

From what I can see on RCGroups all 2.1 versions are still supposed to be for test use only. I understand FrSky have jumped the gun a bit moving them from Github without flagging that they are still test versions.

I don't see the point in updating at the moment, it could be months before I'll be able to fly so I'll just spend time expanding my collection of dust covered airframes frown

All,

Well have two Rx's working fine as far as I can tell with the x10S running 1.3.07 a X8R and a RX8R Pro. However not the G-RX8 with V2.0.1 which refuses to function or bind. See on RCGroups others seem to have a later version of the G-RX8 SW than that on the FRSky site. Is anyone aware of this issue over here in the UK yet?

Andy,

Sure you are aware but just in case, that is only a beta version and it is down for a new beta as soon as they can sort out the sensor/telemetry peaks. Might not be too long I am guessing as they seem very keen to turn their attention to ACCESS viz ACCST D16 problems.

Bob, While I ‘m happy to wait a bit longer , luckily for me, I can fly my glider and some models from my own field so as soon as I think the odds are better with new than without I’ll make my move.

Tim

Tim when you are ready to do your Rx upgrades upload all the SW versions to the SD card as you can select which files to send to the smart port using the system menu selection Update.

Good luck as this has been a steep learning process for me.

Yet to upgrade my quadcopter FC though as don't think the board has a smart port so not sure how to proceed on that one but have not flown it for months now so may leave it until all this Beta testing clears the issues.

Thanks again for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get my obsolete XSRF30 Flight Controller working with the new FRSKY X10S SW 1.3.07 by downloading software for the XSR receiver, so have now got all my receivers fully functioning. If only we could do some flying that would provide some confidence that this latest B release for the Horus is ok. Certainly the quad seemed ok whilst I flew it round the garden.