FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX

Kevin Fairgrieve

I said I would fly the RX8R pro and provide the comparison plot before and after the upgrade to V2.01. Here it is.

rx8rpro.jpgAs with the other Rxr's the before and after RSSI is pretty much the same . The post update flight is again a 20 min soaring flight while the pre update comparison is only a 10 min flight in a sports power model. (never had the RX8Rpro in a glider before today !) Altitude range is however pretty similar ( this time measured with a GPS Rx).

Again there are no RSSI drop outs or failsafes noted for the entire flight.

That wraps it up for me . I am happy with the upgrade.

Tim

Nice one Tim, great tests!

To put my mind at rest, my own personal opinion is that the new hardware, like the ACCESS radios could be the culprit when trying to use them for ACCST D16 with V2.1

If you have ACCST native radio, before they brought out the ACCESS and Express flavours then like your own tests, I’m starting to see a lot of good working equipment on the updated V2.1 firmware.

Thanks again!

Posted by Tim Ballinger on 27/05/2020 09:00:42:

Mark,

All I can say is that if I had an Access Radio I would want to proceed through my own logical test sequence before flying.
Tim

Does your caution relate only to the RX8R receiver, that seems to be getting much adverse comment, or to all receivers? I've just got a new ACCESS transmitter which I've updated to v2.1 firmware and I'm transferring some of my ACCST receivers (mainly X8R, X4R) to. Apart from doing normal range-check and function checks, should I be concerned?

Alan,

In short I do not know enough about ACCES. I have not gone out of my way to research anomalies that have been flagged other than one user on RCG who was having problems with QX7 and a G-RX8. FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH my thoughts on that are 7 posts above this one.

Personally I feel there have been sufficient issues over this upgrade that whatever setup I was using I would want to check the telemetry logs, particularly RSSI levels before and after the upgrade. So if you did not feel the need to test fly each of the upgraded rxrs on a relatively benign model as I did then at the very least I would run them each for 10 mins, including reduced power range tests. Make sure the results are logged and then carefully check through the data for any anomalies.

Long answer i know but I am an ex flight test engineer and caution in a minefield is innate !

Tim

Thanks Tim. I've been reading the RCG thread too, and for the past couple of weeks I haven't understood most of the detail. As far as I can gather, most of the problems raised seem to be with telemetry, which I don't use other than on a couple of helis. My most benign models are a 250 quad and a Multiplex Twinstar, but the quad has an RXSR-FC receiver/controller which I haven't figured how to access the S-Port of, and my Twinstar uses an S8R, which hasn't got a v2.1 update from FrSky yet sad

Alan,

Alan,

Can’t help much I’ afraid but I do remember the stabilised Rx were causing a few issues for the testers reporting on Github . While I can not remember the detail I had thought it was all about missing frames and how they were handled which was getting a little esoteric. You can always ask a simple question of the beta testers on github, like is it safe to fly ?. With luck you will get a simple answer!

Regarding Sport access , I see your Rx has an Sport pin and I suspect a wiring harness that connects to it, possibly the wire is not terminated in a plug. Anyways ignoring other parameters, your key parameter is RSSI which will come back from the Rx to the Tx.
Assuming you see RSSI displayed on your Tx then all you have to do is make sure data logging is turned on and you can review the data for its session by downloading the log file , possibly easiest with companion if you use that.

Tim

Thanks Tim.

Yes, I've seen the S-Port pad on the RXSR-FC board but, not being an electronics expert, I'm not sure if I can connect the 3-wires from my FrSky STK device to that S-Port pad and the nearby 5V and GND pads without damaging something. I've asked the question in this forum (next thread down), on RCG, and direct to FrSky, but no response. After I've finished updating my 'conventional' receivers I'll extricate the RXSR-FC from the quad and maybe even disconnect the RXSR module from the FC board to find the direct S-Port connection.

I know that a v.2.1 is on its way for S8R and am prepared to wait. I don't want to mess about with beta versions.

I did the surgery on the RXSR-FC today and soldered three wires direct to the ~+- S.Port pads on the RXSR receiver module. Update then went smoothly with the FrSky STK device. No problems other than the tiny screws holding the receiver onto the FC board, and then the tiny solder pads for the connections. Big magnifying glass helped!