FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX

Kevin Fairgrieve

Andy,

I am running FrOS on a Horus X10.

The image you are showing me is the internal flash memory which is similar but not the same as the SD card. You should have a top level folders called Firmware, LOGS , images and SOUNDS.

I can not tell from the screen images but if you plugged a usb into the Horus you should then get two File systems come up with identical names , probably NoName . One is the internal Flash memory and the other is the SD card.

Can you confirm or check that before going further.

Tim

Advert

If you have never used the SD card it may have only Firmware and LOGS folders but what you have shown is definitely the internal flash memory. Unless you are very confident I am wrong do not overwrite any of the files you showed .

I think I would need to see that you have both internal flash and SD card file structures before going further.

Tim

Tim

Plugging in the Tx to my USB I get two folder structures. The first has no name and the second is called removable disk which I assume is the SD card.

The no name structure has three sub files and the SD card has 4 folders as pictured.

Yes have downloaded the FRSky OS programming doc and read pages 16 / 17, but it was little help as to what files on my SD card to delete and what to add.

horus usb.jpg

Andy,

A little clearer then. Can I ask have you had the Horus from new and did you or someone else format the SD card. The 1.3.04 Beta folder I see which is dated 24/04/19 looks like an attempt was made to install that version of the FrOs. The folder itself would not cause a problem but the installation would only have worked if the relevant bin file was in the folder labeled FIRMWARE (and the relevant flashing sequence as noted in the guide followed).

Does any of that ring true to you ?

Tim

Well have downloaded the new software 1.3.06 to the SD card and disconnected the Tx from the USB. However I cant now get the TX to go into boot mode by holding down the rotary right hand control and power on switches. Holding the Page up/dwn key (left hand side key and powering on gives a warning message SD_status no config

Andy,

So the only file you have in the FIRMWARE folder is Release_X10_mode2_EU_frtx.bin - correct ?

If so and holding the on switch and the right knob switch down at the same time does not enter the flashing sequence then I run out of ideas.

Not sure what the up/down key should do as I have never read about it or tried it !

Looking like you need to get more expert advice.

Tim

Andy,

Final thing I notice ( which I do not think would affect your failure to get the flash process at least displaying something) is that there were a few file additions needed to be made to the flash memory in 1.303 which were not noted in release notes of subsequent revisions even though the Flash memory files were included in the download files) I am assuming this was done before your 1.304Beta installation but since the relevant flash files do not appear in the 1.304 beta download I can not be sure.

As I say i do not think it would stop anything trying to install but you do need to check they have been added. Includes ability to use lua scripts btw which are also needed to be added as indicated in the 1.303 release notes. If you have them all good and I do not know why the upgrade does not work.

Tim

Success, cleared out the FIRMWARE folder on the SD card and installed the content of the upgrade folder files.

Update worked as described in the procedure.

Now the bad side of the procedure, non of my Rx's bind to the Tx running the new software. So do I have to update each Rx now?

Andy,

yes there is it’s on page 22 of the same manual you have been using. It uses the Sport on the back of the Tx and the Rx. You first need to download the relevant Rx firmware file then put it in the firmware folder. Then just follow the instructions. You are on your own here as I have never flashed a Rx yet but folks say it is very simple process !

I assume you had more than one file in the firmware folder which was stopping the Tx update process ?

Tim

Updating receivers - just make sure to swap +ve and -ve at the TX end of the lead which is typically a male-male lead as used for Sport sensors. If you have servos etc connected to the receiver then disconnect the red lead in the update lead or they will get the full transmitter battery voltage, so you need a receiver pack to power the receiver. Connect transmitter bottom three pins in the module bay to the receiver sport connection. On OpenTX you select the file in the firmware folder and it asks what you want to do. You select the external module option, power up the receiver and away it goes. I'd imagine the FrSky system has a similar function.

Andy is updating receivers using a Horus X10. You do not need to use the module bay any more, that was just for Taranis.

Far simpler and much safer is to flash the receivers using the Sport at the back of the Horus. Works with both FrOS and OpenTX. You can also stop worrying about transmitter battery voltages, not a problem with the Sport.

sport flashing.jpg

Posted by Gary Manuel on 23/03/2020 21:31:44:

Me too.

Wonder why they added SPort on X10 then removed it on X12. It's not a big deal on X12 apart from having to remove the external module in order to update receivers. They don't need updating very often fortunately.

The X12 came before the X10 so I would say it was a design decision.
I have used the X12 to update a few Rx and no issue to remove a module if fitted.

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 23/03/2020 21:49:19:

Me too.

Wonder why they added SPort on X10 then removed it on X12. It's not a big deal on X12 apart from having to remove the external module in order to update receivers. They don't need updating very often fortunately.

I have used the X12 to update a few Rx and no issue to remove a module if fitted.

There is an issue if you plug the wrong lead in, or connect it to the wrong pins. Pretty much foolproof if you use an Sport lead.

Posted by Andy48 on 23/03/2020 22:21:02:
Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 23/03/2020 21:49:19:

Me too.

There is an issue if you plug the wrong lead in, or connect it to the wrong pins. Pretty much foolproof if you use an Sport lead.

Agreed. I have a special servo lead made up which I keep with my TX and have marked the module bay pins accordingly.
An sport port on the X12 would be nice, but we can only deal with what we have.

Out of interest I connected to the S port on the back of my Horus 10X just to see what voltage was on it. Can not say I understand the result, it started at 4.5V then slowly decayed to zero. Turned the Tx off then on again and it recharged as it were then decayed to zero again.

Anyone bored enough to explain that to me?

Tim

Posted by Tim Ballinger on 24/03/2020 12:03:38:

Out of interest I connected to the S port on the back of my Horus 10X just to see what voltage was on it. Can not say I understand the result, it started at 4.5V then slowly decayed to zero. Turned the Tx off then on again and it recharged as it were then decayed to zero again.

Anyone bored enough to explain that to me?

Tim

I will check my two when I have finished the list of jobs SWMBO has decreed I do today.

The SPort power is switched, in the same way the module power is switched under software control. It is only turned on when you are actually flashing a device, and then only at the correct time in the operation so the device is always found.

What you are seeing is a leakage voltage, and you meter is discharging this to ground.

Mike

Well after many attempts of doing the Tx update and even using the new version as released today I cant get the Tx to bind to a RX8R pro running also the latest version of its upgraded software.

So has anybody managed to get the FRSky software upgrade to work with a RX8R Pro?

In desperation had to revert the Tx to 1.3.04Beta and the Rx to LBT180601.