FrSky Major Update for most TX and RX

Kevin Fairgrieve

I give up on Taranis. Great range, solid contact with the model maybe but it is just too complex for me. To set up a new model requires a lot of patience and it is too easy to get things wrong. Mine is on global so that, I am told, it will work with any of their Rx`s including D8 and X8 which it does. I have a Tx module to fit an old PCM 9X set so shall keep a couple or so Rx`s but the rest will be up for sale soon. LBT strikes me as a problem waiting to happen. What if the band is full? Give me DSM2 any day.

The LBT version will work with D8 and X series receivers no problem. Don't understand why you believe LBT is a problem waiting to happen.

As for when the band is full, surely that would affect any transmitter, however I read somewhere that over 100 helicopters were flown together on 2.4Ghz. DSM2 only listens once when switched on and is therefore more prone to problems when the band is busy than LBT or DSMX transmitters.

As for Spektrum kit, nearly every regular flyer at our club has changed away from it having had numerous radio failures. That's why I changed. I lost 3 aircraft in 2 weeks in very similar circumstances. Never had a problem since moving to Frsky stuff.

Mine was reprogrammed by the local guru. Probably so that it would function with any later Rx`s I may have bought rather than D or X. That was quite some time ago so do not really remember.

DSM 2 grabs and hogs a couple of frequencies which is why the EU dislikes it.

Mine are JR. I would agree that the Spektrum versions are more than a little suspect and would not touch one.

Mike ,

Many thanks for the update. Two Questions if I may. From what I have read this issue is not directly connected to the LBT feature or is it? Presumably the packet validation check does not fail each and every time there is some interference on the Tx/ Rx as that would presumably not be a rare occurrence or does it?

The RC group chat seems full of reports of hardware incompatibility issues with the latest firmware that makes most of us reluctant to implement the upgrade atm. Are we right to be waiting? ( yep that’s 3 questions)

Tim.

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 25/01/2020 16:38:23

Mike, not heard of ersky, did you mean flysky? I have 6 and 10 ch system on this and they seem very solid but there is a problem with the 10ch in that the rates are 3 position and the s/w to drive them is for 2 position. Cannot get the Tx to talk to my laptop to reload it.

Very reluctant to sell the FrSky because it is just so solid.

Tim: It seems the LBT version is more prone to this problem, but it does affect both LBT and International.
Most of the time the CRC check picks up transmission errors. One thing FrSky did between the original 'D' protocol and the 'X' protocol is stop using the hardware CRC check available in the RF chip. This has been enable in the fix.

Yes there are some problems with this update, I think they have rushed it out, but don't have enough older hardware to test all combinations. I expect this update to be improved quite soon. However, provided you have copies of the current module and Rx firmware (so you could revert if needed), if you do update, the control link either works, or it doesn't. If it works it keeps working.

Martin: I definitely mean erskyTx firmware for the Taranis. Quick history: originally there was TH9X firmware for the Flysky 9x transmitter. This was followed by er9x firmware for that Tx. Then an upgrade board (call a SKY board) was made for the 9X, so er9x became ersky9x as well. Around the same time openTx was forked from these.

As FrSky started to produce transmitters, both ersky9x and openTx were made available for them. As more transmitters became available (the 9XR-PRO and others from FrSky), so both openTx and ersky9x were ported to them. I recently renamed ersky9X to erskyTx as it is not just applicable to the original 9X.

I've attempted to make navigating around erskyTx easy, and so easy to find settings you need.

The firmware is here: **LINK**, and there is a link to an er9x manual on that page as well.

Mike

I've read the thread and have a simple question. What does this mean for users of the pre-Taranis series of Frsky modules and receivers, such as the V8-FRII, V4-FRII and D8-FRII - I have quite a few of these in operation, don;t use telemetry at all and they have been working very well for years.

I assume that if I do nothing to the existing kit that they'll just keep on working and will be fully legal? Will those RXs be discontinued or will they fail to work with the old modules in the event that I buy more of them in the future?

As far as I'm aware, D8 and V8 (the original, non-telemetry system) are unaffected by this glitch. I too have quite a bit of D8 gear!

The legal position of D8 is a bit of a grey area! Under "grandfather rights", if you purchased your transmitter before January 2015, D8 is perfectly legal. (There was a "transition period", but lets keep it simple!)

If you bought your Tx AFTER Jan 2015, then you are probably breaching EU regs if you use D8. However, this would only be a problem in the highly unlikely event of someone actually checking!

I'm happily using D8 "hack" modules to convert vintage transmitters, and would quite happily argue my case in court should it ever come to that! Frankly, Ofcom have far more important things to worry about.

Also, I believe that, post-brexit, should the BMFA and the other organisations request it, there is a reasonable chance that the current restrictions on pre-2015 specification gear could be lifted. At present, Ofcom's hands are tied by EU regulations, but otherwise their policy is to grant use provided none of the other stakeholders (other users of the band) objects. Since 2.4 GHz is unlicensed, there really shouldn't be an issue. But note that this is my *personal* opinion!

That covers the legal aspects, I think. Moving on to the practical issues, I haven't updated my systems yet - and don't intend to for a while as, so far, I haven't had an issue! I've learned the hard way never to use "version 1.0" of any software! Wait for the first batch of updates to come along! Having said that, MikeB - who does an awful lot of work on this, and is better qualified than I on this subject, says that the upgrade doesn't affect D8 in the transmitters, but *does* prevent X-series receivers from being forced into D8 mode. Again, its possible that a future firmware revision may fix this.

Hope this helps!

(Mike posted whilst I was writing this! smiley )

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 26/01/2020 09:26:05

My Frsky DFT module was purchased in 2010 and is fitted to a Futaba FF9 tx that I currently use for all of my gliders (11 rxs)and a small number of powered models (10 rxs), my main system for the vast majority of models is Spektrum - DX7 and DX9 (33rx). I wouldn't want to unecessarily replace a large number of receivers, even if they are relatively inexpensive.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the D16 access firmware update story has progressed at all. I see no new firmware listed since this all started on 16 Jan. Nothing new on the FrSky site . Nothing new on RC group chat either that I can see.

I have still not implemented the upgrade but am about to buy a new Rx and was just wandering what firmware they will be sold with. Perhaps I’ll drop a line to T9 if no one on here knows the status.

Tim

As a result of the situation in China things haven't been progressing very quickly from what I can gather. I'd imagine that those who can have been working from home but without access to a full set of test gear so I'm not expecting anything for a week or two.

I bought an RXSR and an RX4R from T9 this last week and both worked with my X12 without needing firmware downgrades.

FrSky released some "V2" ACCST firmware just before the Chinese New Year, but this had some problems, particularly with early XJT modules (internal or external). Due to restrictions, caused by the Virus situation, the engineers have been working from home since. I have received a couple of updates to test on my early modules, and some of the issues have been solved, but not all.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

A quick question:

Is there any way of determining what current version of Horus 12s RF firmware or X8R firmware are installed. I recently acquired a second hand 2s and 4 x X8R receivers and can't get them to bind. I would like to know what version they are at before I start updating.