Best engine to model combo x3

David Ovenden

Getting back to building and flying again after after a difficult year. I now have the pleasant task of completing projects that had been on hold for a while. I have 3 models that need building/finishing/assembling.

1. 1/4 scale Tiger Moth from Traplet/Sarik plans. Only one wing left to cover and fit servos & engine.
  2. Black Horse Wilga. ARTF kit 2.2m version. (Don't want to use it for towing - just scale flying)
  3. Seagull Bucker Jungmeister ARTF kit. (I want to use a shorter more scale engine cowl so CG may be an issue)

OK, I have 3 engines available.

1. OS Gemini 160 twin
  2. Saito 150
  3. Saito 120 (Same crankcase as the 150- Not the newer 125)

All are good runners. Which engine would you put in which model? I have my view of course but it would be good to know if any of you have experience of any of these model/engine combinations.

Advert

The 160 for the Jungie is fair enough and the heavier engine will suit the scale cowl...the rest...

The wilga and tiger moth need 180's really. The tiger will fly on a 150, but the saito 150 does like to rev and it wont appreciate the bigger prop you would want to throw. I had a saito 150 and 17x6 was the best it could handle iirc.

I dont think the 120 would do either of them justice.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies.

Cymaz you had the same thought as me. 150 in the Tiger Moth, 160 twin in the Jungmeister and 120 in the Wilga. I do take Jon's point though. The 120 is perhaps too small. However, I have seen several large 85" span Black Horse chipmunks fly nicely on a 120fs and they were marketed as being for 45cc - 50cc petrol engines!

So it is surprising how models can fly on lower power than we are used to today. Duncan Hutton who designed the Tiger Moth had his original model powered by an OS 120 surpass (non pumped version). I will fit the 150 in mine though.

I will probably leave the Wilga for now and fit it with my Saito 170 radial (which is currently in a 1/4 scale Monocoupe 90 model) once it becomes available.