Sarik Dewointine D510

In Africa it is not easy have group builds like you are doing in the UK, I read the blogs and admire the enthusiasm shown by the members. We do not have many active builders and it is hard to get a kit that is suitable for a build like this. We recenly got access to 18 Dewointine kits that were part of the stock from the now defuct Traplet South Africa shop so I am trying to get a group build going. I have started my build and hope that others will follow. The wood is a good quality that is well cut but I can see that I will be making a few changes to my airframe as the plan does leave a little open to interpretation. It is a nice build so far and nice to work on a smallish airframe for a change. I will be using an electric set up but a nice small four stroke would have been nice.

dw01.jpg

dw02.jpg

dw2.jpgdw3.jpg

Advert

The plan and parts are still available from Sarik if anybody is interested in building this model. Not cheap at £15 for the plan and £88 for the laser cut parts ( and a whopping £3 off if you buy both! ) but a different scale model which makes a change from Spitfires and Cubs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been making slow progress on getting this project completed as my son and I have been trying to do a stock take of kits and plans from the old Traplet South Africa and try to get it sold for the owner who is in the UK. It is a bit like asking an alcoholic to do a stock take at a bottle stores! So many nice projects with most of Brian Taylor and Dennis Bryant designs being part of this stock. My wife is not sure I am investing in a pension plan but I know my modeling retirement is in good hands!

The Airframe is now almost completed and is starting to look like it should, lots of shaping and sanding done and still more to be done. It should be a nice flyer when finished as the weight is still good despite all the wood in it. Had a few issues with the design and parts as some of the detail could have been better described or shown on the plan and the fuselage cut out for the wing needed quite a bit of modification to get it to fit.

dw16.jpg dw17.jpgdw18.jpg