Article on building a LiPo warmer box

BikerDon

I remember reading a recent-ish article on building a LiPo warmer box from an aluminium case as used for transmitters, a pet bed warmer mat and an old LiPo. I'm sure it was in RCM&E, possibly a Special. While I look through my old magazines, search the Internet and search ModelFlying.co.uk does anyone recall it and know which issue it was in please? Now where is that RCM&E index? Oh wait.....

Advert

I like the idea of a technical warmer... Warming them certainly makes a difference, particularly for my smaller high C batteries for glider climb-outs. In my shirt pocket, the little packs can get to the high 20's, but for the bigger LiPo's I put them in a (well padded) camera bag with a handwarmer.

Got two, one for LiPos and another for the Tx.

I recall the RCM&E article clearly, would have said within the last 15 months, but OTT albeit very nice engineering.

I use a safe bag for LiPos, handy, keeps them together etc. I put a 6v pet mat in the bottom of it and on a cold flying day I plug that into my big charger which has 2 USB ports, early on as soon as the pink ticket is stamped, and leave it there till the last minute. Then I plug it into a cheapo powerbank-type battery and put that in the safe bag, put it in the wife's car and set off. It seems effective, keeps the cold off the LiPos and leaves everything inside the safe bag, although I think that's a relative term.

For the (aluminium)Tx I lined the bottom of the case with radiator insulant, put the heat mat on top of that with its power feed poking out and plug a better powerbank in which fits the foam cutouts easily and all closes comfortably. The joy of a warm transmitter on a cold day ...

Can't claim credit for second, a clubmate beat me to it. Make sure you select the right voltage in the heat mats as there are some 12v versions which I'm sure are fine with a suitable battery, but not a powerbank, which is a handy thing when all of the wifes iThings are using all of the relevant bits of wire etc. Also handy on trips. Not sure of the chemistry but suspect LiOn or NiMH as there are no strictures about staring at them whilst they charge, in the house.

BTC