Email for a mac

David Holland 2

Hi gents, I appreciate that this is not really aviation related, but can anyone suggest an email provider that will work well with Apple gizmos. BT cancelled my email address that I had kept when I moved to EE a couple of years ago, only emailing that address to tell me after it stopped working!!. It seems I should have been paying £7.50 a month to keep the old address but they forgot to charge me. You couldn’t make it up, could you? Anyway, it had been working fine with Apple’s “Mail” but I have created a gmail account and it won’t talk to “Mail”, wont speak to my contacts and I’m not really impressed. Any ideas, please, David.

I had a similar thing with my old freeserve email which went to Orange who then stopped email without telling me.

I am a Mac user and also created a gmail account. It works fine for me with 'Mail'.

I have my incoming mail server set to:

imap.gmail.com

and outgoing set to:

smtp.gmail.com

Hope that helps.

iCloud mail is certainly an option.

After a few switches I decided to buy my own domain & authenticated smtp access so my email (john@john******.com) is independent of my provider. The original host for my domain was taken over and is now names.co.uk who have been fine. I've only ever had one bit of technical difficulty & the response from their support was pretty much immediate with the issue sorted within a couple of hours. Total cost is about £4pm.

• 2 weeks later...

Just use the free one you set up with your Mac. Used macs all my life for work and these emails have never let me down. You can multiple variations too, again for free so you can manage sign-ups, shopping and personal. Easy... and free. I mean you paid enough...

Dave I only use Macs and have multiple email accounts for business and private use that all work fine including gmail. I suggest you go to settings / accounts then check you have inputted the right details and password. If that doesn’t work delete the account and reinput. Failing that you can find plenty of good Mac help video tutorials on line

I have had a Mac for many years. Email from any provider I have used ( Bt, gmail, Sky, Yahoo) all work fine. As has been said above you just need to set the right attributes regarding server names. Most load in automatically if starting from scratch ie as soon as you type in your email address the system recognises the required settings automatically.

Same with the iPad and iPhone.

Tim