Twister 40, anybody know anything about one of these old motors.

David Davis

My partner proved to be such a whizz on the simulator that in a moment of weakness I said I'd build a Super 60 for her. She wants it finished in pink but that's another story.

I'm not going to use one of my beloved four-strokes in it and a two stroke would be too slimey for her so I've decided to power it electrically. Electric flight is not my strong suite but among my souvenirs is a "Twister .40" electric motor. This was made in France and is quite a chunky unit measuring 44mm in diameter and 43mm in the length. Anybody know anthing about this motor?

Would it power a four channel Super 60? I was thinking of a using a 3S battery.

If it won't, I have an Emax 2815/09 and an Axi 2820/10 in their boxes doing nothing

The opinion of the cognoscenti is, as always keenly sought.

Advert

I remember Twister motors and recall they were OK, but I have very limited information.

I found some information on a Twister 19/40 in MotoCalc but only that it is a 1000kV motor and weighs 175 gm (6.2 oz). what does yours weigh? Any other information on it?

If yours is the 19/40 then it should be good for 500 watts at 7000 rpm on 3s and a 14x6 prop with a 60 amp ESC. Should be enough fior Super 60.

Hope this helps.

Dick

Not much on google for the Twister motor. It sounds ok from the can size as that is a fair guide to power handling. You would want to be driving it from a 50 or 60A esc as I think you need to be looking for 40A or so for a vintage style performance. What's the AUW of an S60 - 4, 5lbs? Can you try running the motor screwed to the bench with a wattmeter to see if you can get 400 or 500 W out of it? Otherwise the Axi sounds ok.

David

I think your motor is a Cyclon Twister 29 of 2000 vintage

cyclontwister29

Full spec here

If so the Twister 29 is considered a '40' equivalent at a max continuous current of 30 A and was considered capable of easily flying a basic plane up to 5 kg on 20 cell NiMh (6s LiPo) delivering 600 W.

On a 3s LiPo you could only get 300 W at 30 A.

Thank you gentlemen for your advice.

Dickw, my motor is indeed the 19/40, the "19" being printed quite small on the case!

I'll rig it up on a test bed when time permits and see what reading I get. It's pink too, she'll like that.

Edited By David Davis on 21/03/2020 13:13:51

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 21/03/2020 12:37:57:

David

I think your motor is a Cyclon Twister 29 of 2000 vintage

Full spec here

If so the Twister 29 is considered a '40' equivalent at a max continuous current of 30 A and was considered capable of easily flying a basic plane up to 5 kg on 20 cell NiMh (6s LiPo) delivering 600 W.

On a 3s LiPo you could only get 300 W at 30 A.

Simon & David

MotoCalc also shows a Twister 29/60, with the few details available matching the spec for Simon's "29".

That gives me more confidence that David's motor is the 19/40 and the performance predictions I gave are reasonable.

Dick