Chrome covering

Foxfan

Hi all,

in this time of stay in and think of what you'd like to build and fly, I'm seriously considering an Ercoupe. I've liked them since one used to fly over us when I was a kid and I identified it from my Observer's Book of Aircraft.

Now, they look great in natural metal (what doesn't), so I'm thinking it would need covering in chrome film, but what is opinion generally of radio signal corruption with shiny birds?

Martin

Advert

hello martin,i can only speak for my models using Hitec 2.4g.....but as I've mentioned the profilm instructions tell you that the covering has a layer of foil in it and that you need to be careful about your radio installation.....if you google the matter,you'll get some more info...

ken anderson...ne...1...chrome dept.

Oracover offer what they call Chrome film which IS backed with real aluminium and they do warn of issues with radio reception on this covering.

They also offer Brushed Aluminium film which is not metallised and may be close enough to a chrome finish for most people.

Personally I find their Chrome film to be too shiny to be realistic at model scale and it also seems prone to hangar rash which makes the model look tatty. However, that is likely to be my fault and as they say YMMV....

I prefer glassing and painting anyway!

Some years ago I resurrected a CAP Gladiator which I covered in silver Solartex. I positioned the receiver and aerials as usual where it couldn't be blanked by the engine and well clear of any metal but I couldn't get a decent range test until I put one aerial in the canopy and the other out of the bottom, both clear of the covering. That was with supposedly safe silver tex, I think Callsign Tarnish has been doing well to get good rangetests and no issues.

Alan, glassing and painting will never look like polished ally! However the brushed aluminium sounds good. I have seen several Ercoupes in a dullish mill finish ally, rather than the unbelievably time consuming polished version. The Spartan Executive at Little Gransden is almost too bright to look at! I have covered 1/32nd scale slot cars in Sellotape Aluminium foil and they look fine, so natural metal in the MUCH larger model aircraft scales is fine if properly done.

Thanks to all for the warnings and the solutions.

Martin

Posted by Foxfan on 03/04/2020 12:03:53:

Alan, glassing and painting will never look like polished ally!

Not certain I agree with that.

These are not my models, but very much an aspiration to aim for (credit for pics and models by Phil and the team at Fighteraces).

I don't think covering models such as this in Oracover would give quite the same effect.

90554412_1242141645991817_8059854023294976000_o.jpg

51931748_943356695870315_8753414224245424128_o.jpg

Not bad, if that's paint, but the quality is more suggested by the realism of panel by panel changes of tone. For a basic mill finish they're not bad for paint, but will never look like aluminium. Some, like Alclad (what a steal of a brand name!), but it's a huge faff and doesn't always work and doesn't like being handled or clear coated or Molotow chrome (fine for small details) can be fairly convincing, but if you want metal, make it of metal, even if it's just a covering.

M

Edited By Foxfan on 03/04/2020 13:53:06

Crikey, I've never seen Phil's work only being classed as "not bad"!! Excellent finishes from an aeromodelling artist, and as close to the real thing as I've ever seen, short of "flite metal". Thanks for sharing them Al, they are outstanding, and far above and beyond what a plastic film could manage yes

Yes I was not necessarily asking about plastic film as such, but rather "covering" more generally, which, yes, includes Iron-ons, although I wasn't aware they did a chrome. I don't like chrome, but I don't like paint either. I would always counsel the use of foils, no matter how good paints might get. I was not poo-pooing the bove pics. They are very good, but only in so far as they are paint.

M