DX6 problem

David Soper

Advert

Did you connect the battery the right way ? I changed the battery on a DX6E and connected it the wrong way It done what yours is doing I don't know if it can be repaired I bought a new Futaba set. after the lockdown I will see if it can be repaired. As a warning to anyone replacing the dry cells with a 7.2 lypo don't use the jst plug they can go either way.

Had the same problem. I let the battery get too low. Did a search on internet. Known problem. Can't remember where but it involve moving the sticks in circles and operating every switch randomly. If that didn't work it was a case of sending it back to Als hobbies for a factory reset. I took the easier way out and bought a new Tx as I was in a hurry.

John

Edited By John Tee on 16/04/2020 08:24:11

I've been using a DX6i and and DX6 for the last 5 or 6 years, with a lot of flying hours.

I've always used 4 eneloops in the Tx, charged in a wall charger just before each session. I change the eneloops, by precaution, every couple of years, and I've never had the slightest problem.

For me, unnecessary, theory-based, "upgrading" is just something else to go wrong, and it looks like you may have proved it.

Edited By brokenenglish on 16/04/2020 08:31:56

Posted by brokenenglish on 16/04/2020 08:30:56:

For me, unnecessary, theory-based, "upgrading" is just something else to go wrong, and it looks like you may have proved it.

Edited By brokenenglish on 16/04/2020 08:31:56

Totally agree with brokenenglish.

It is difficult to judge " how long is a piece of string " as is " How Long is a Flying Day"

We all all check/ top up/ maintain/ a full charge for the flying day.

Typically, note typically......a flying day takes approx 300mah from the Tx pack to complete the outing.

We used to go flying with 600mah packs total, and 900mah if you were posh and wadded.

Just stick with the manufacturers recommended pack and upgrade if you intend to fly the English Channel.

Manufacturers have our backs against the wall somewhat in producing packs and cells in the order of 2100mah

And above, and does us no favours for low use applications giving us little choice.

But lower capacity cells are sturdier and last longer in my experience.

When I go out to fly with my 4 eneloops in the Tx. The meter generally reads around 5.7 to 5.8V.
At the end of a long session (a couple of hours of continuous flying), the meter reading is generally round 5.2V, and I've never seen it below 5V.

"Upgrading" (why?) is just an opportunity to make a mistake, and you simply end up demonstrating that you didn't really know how to do it...
Why mess with a system that works perfectly?

Edited By brokenenglish on 16/04/2020 10:53:20

Posted by Nigel R on 16/04/2020 11:46:53:

Quoting the opening post:

"4 year old DX6 recently replaced Li Ion battery."

I'm not seeing an upgrade from nimh or nicad to lithium here, just replacing like for like.

You are right Nigel, we assumed an upgrade.

What drove me was that those at my field did come with an AA battery box, that appears to work perfectly well.

You can fit dry cell or rechargeables.

The lithium set up just introduces a chance of wrong polarity