Crow braking

Stephen Belshaw

I want to set up crow braking on my Multiplex Heron, I have set the basics up for the model using the model wizard. I selected the flap option and have these set on switch A to give me reflex and thermal setting - each around 3mm of flap travel.

I have had numerous attempts at mixing in crow utilising the LS to give me "Off, 50% flap and full flap with up ailerons. I have successfully mixed the aileron in, but whatever I try for the flaps interferes with the settings on SA. It seems I can't have both??

I've now deleted all my attempts and reverted back to a basic set-up but I really need the crow setting as my flying field is tight for landings.

Advert

My setup on a Qx7 works well, although I haven't used crow braking yet It is configured, but I may not need it as flaps at around 80 degrees down brake very well on my lighter gliders.

I take the flap input (switch/stick etc) and put it on a separate unused channel. Flap is the same as spoiler, but in the opposite direction. I add flap to the flaps (some have aileron added), just add CH whatever, + 0r - weight. Similar for the aileron, add flap but in the opposite direction.

Edited By David Hall 9 on 28/04/2020 17:12:41

Thanks for the replies. Dickw, I have looked at Mike Shellims site before and whilst his stuff is very good it is overly complicated for me. Andrew, yes that is what I was trying to do, crow braking on LS but I can't mix the aileron and flaps together to give me what I want. The ele mix is no problem and I often mix in spoilers on the aileron channel but I can't seem to figure this one out. There seems to be a conflict between the flaps as currently set up on SA to give me speed/thermal setting and trying to mix them in with the ailerons all together on the slider.

I have my Tx configured as two aileron channels, two flap channels.

Posted by Stephen Belshaw on 28/04/2020 18:01:25:

Thanks for the replies. Dickw, I have looked at Mike Shellims site before and whilst his stuff is very good it is overly complicated for me. ............................

Well agreed he does have some very "complete" flexible setups for trimming in competition models, but it was more his basic explanations of how to use the system that I was pointing to.

I note he sets up the basic RETA (or whichever order you want) controls, plus a camber control and a crow control. Everything after that is just mixes from the control to the relevant individual servos.

Dick

Well, a mea culpa moment from me after Dickw had pointed me in the direction of Mike Shellims rc-soar website.

I decided to download one of his templates and have a look at it to see if it was workable for me. Whilst the programming Mike has done is way beyond what I could have managed the implementation from the users point of view is very straightforward and comes complete with a very well written step by step guide.

A few hours work in setting up the transmitter and model saw me with a full house set up on the Heron and a much better understanding of how openTx works. Very pleased with it and can thoroughly recommend.