Professional 2D CAD free of charge

Advert

Hi Barrie, I have been spoilt with a company provided AutoCad for many years. I have tried a few free alternatives but had trouble cross training

Frustrating as the freeware copies of Photoshop, Excel etc have been so close as to be akin to a version change.

Thanks for the link, I will give it a go.

Edited By Kevin Wilson on 12/05/2020 09:28:50

Hi Barrie, I have zero experience of CAD but would like to be able to use it for some basic plan drawings & scaling. Would you consider Solid Edge as a good introduction ?
If so which of the links do you think would be the best starting point to learn from ?

Any other recommendations for a self teaching route would be welcome.

Posted by Barrie Lever on 12/05/2020 12:41:02:

............Your benifit is you have no preconceaved ideas on how CAD should work.

Regards

B.

I think that is my problem Barrie.

I've been using AutoCad on and off for 15+ years.

I use keyboard codes for everything except opening and saving files.

I cannot get on with the ribbon and most modern cad alternatives are very mouse driven. I like the sound of the icons highlighting, that may help me.

Only 0.4Gb left to download

Barrie

Just the job I thought - that will replace the free 2D CAD that I downloaded last year and started to learn how to use- but then the company decided to charge for it and the software froze on my PC. ( Dassault Systems)

So I put my details into the Seimens download page and they say they won't grant me a licence at this time. So it would seem that they are selecive in who they offer it to for free. And yes I did un-install the Dassault CAD programme first.

So anyone got any other good but free recommendations?

John M

Edited By John Minchell on 18/05/2020 17:34:21

Edited By John Minchell on 18/05/2020 17:34:48

I had the same issue and changed a few of my answers and switched from my personal email to my work email address and then it worked.

I guess if you are having trouble still and want to try it I could always burn it to DVD and post you a copy?

As yet I have not had much time to try it out and it would be good to get some tips from people already a way along the learning curve.

Carl....