Gary's Brian Taylor P-47 build

Mine too always feels like it wants to nose over when taxiing. Full up elevator is needed for the earlier stages of the takeoff run, ideally easing off as the speed builds and the tailplane gains more authority. Mine is actually nose heavy so even if it lifts off with full up applied, nothing violent happens. That said, I do set my elevator travel to the minimum necessary to flare out on landing.

Good luck on the next attempt!

Trevor

Thanks for prompt response Trevor. I am interested as to why if yours is a little nose heavy you need to reduce elevator response for the flare. My Stampe (tail dragger also) was initially nose heavy and it needed a boot full of elevator to flare at all. I added tail weight and now it’s peachy. Back to the P47 I will be delighted if it turns out a little nose heavy and I can shift my batteries rearward to assist with the nosing over issue. As mentioned I am on the plans C of G and wouldn’t dare moving it back unless experienced others reckon it could be shifted aft a few millimetres safely.

No experience with this particular model Nick, but you have to hold enough to keep the tail down, wouldn't favour a faster application of throttle myself, nice steady build up for me and be ready to release the elevator, maybe not a wooden prop till I'd got the feel of it.

Few clubmates with Harvards favoured using flaps for take offs, they're prone to tripping up.

Hello Nick. I clearly wasn't clear! I set my elevator travel to be sufficient to flare out on landing, but no more. What I was trying to say was that, since full up elevator is only just enough to flare out, it means that, should you happen take off while still holding full up elevator in, the model isn't going to rear up suddenly into a stall.

Gotcha Trevor. When you say your model is a bit nose heavy, is the C of G forward from the plan position or is it that Brian’s recommended position makes for a rather forward C of G. BTW have ordered a Master Airscrew 18 x 8 to use until I get my take off’s sorted. They are a bit on the noisy side and less efficient than the Menz wooden props but they sure are tough.

Mine came out nose heavy due to me underestimating the weight of the cowl and dummy engine so, even though I’ve moved the batteries back as far as I can, I had to add weight to the tail. Since then, I’ve taken to flying it with larger batteries and haven’t added any more tail weight so, even if it was on the plan cg initially, I’m pretty sure it’s forward of it now, with the bigger batteries. It flies fine as it is so I certainly wouldn’t recommend moving the cg back behind the recommended position at least until you’ve got a couple of flights under your belt.

• Thanks 1