Gary's Brian Taylor P-47 build

Hi All,

I have just shelved my BT Spitfire as I'm not happy with how it was going and have decided to start something new instead. I've had the kit for this thunderbolt for a while and got it from a friend who had already made a start.

Would people be interested in a thread for this? It's not going to be competition scale but I plan on making it fairly scale.

Happy to continue a thread if it's something that interests enough people.

Gary

Well it looks like some of you would be interested so I'll go ahead an do a thread. It's great for getting some help when needed due to the wealth of experience on here.

Sorry Nick, that was poorly worded. It's actually a laser cut kit from Bob Holman in the USA. My friend picked it up years ago when he was over there but not sure where the canopy (I have 2) and cowl came from. There is also a set of Unitracts retracts in there and Oleos. He started the build already and has done most of the tail and the starboard wing but the build quality is excellent so I'll hopefully just have the other parts to do so big time saver.

I started the Fuse last night, she is a big lass!

20200518_094857.jpg

Way to go Gary, good to see you have extracted your digit. All the more motivation to think about mine. Decorating the spare bedroom so put my bits in the loft,reason I mention this is I'm a bit perplexed about the "Model World" bottom right, I would swear it isn't on mine,so now I need to go and have a look to put my mind at rest. Build looks grand lad, idle hands and all that winkwink

Been up and down ladders like a fiddlers elbow for two weeks now Steve, getting to old for that lark. Rewired the lights last week two hours on my knees in loft, talk about pain, just getting over it. Sorry Gary, I blame Dibley, back on topic now. What are you putting up front? Electric and I will have word with draftie and get you grounded.cheeky

Looks good already Gary. That's great you got the retracts and oleos with the purchase. As Unitracts appear not operating anymore I went for Electron retracts and Robart oleos cut back a tad to be a perfect fit. Not cheap! The steerable tailwheel retract as shown on the plan is more straightforward to construct than I first thought and works fine, apart from the centering springs shown (they just lock up), so I am currently looking to source some light expansion springs to do the task instead. I will upload some pictures tomorrow.

Looking forward to hearing what power plant you will be using.

Always good to see another of these being built. The build diary for mine is here: **LINK**

It is electric powered and film covered though, so arguably not a traditional BT build.

A first attempt at onboard video here: **LINK**

I must have another go at it sometime with a more secure camera mount.

Enjoy the build.

Trevor

Hi Gents,

Thank you for all the comments, this stage is easy so hopefully I can keep up the momentum and make a nice job of it.

Always great to hear from you John, and good to hear you're still getting up and down ladders like you were back in the Ark days! I got these plans from Traplet years ago and they had the RC Model World stuff on. They also say 70" wingspan despite being 76" so I don't know what is going on there. The draftie has got his pound of flesh out of me plenty of times so I'm taking advantage of this quiet time!

Thanks Nick, yes it is great to have the Unitracts stuff ready to go . It is a real pity they're not operating anymore as I really like their stuff. My plan is to attempt the steerable tailwheel as it is in the plan and just waiting on some mild steel sheet to arrive to get the parts cut. The centering springs did confuse me a bit whilst I looked at the plan so seeing what you do would be great.

Your thread is very helpful Trevor, I have looked through it all in the past on RCU I think? so will go through in detail again as I progress with the build.

Right, back to the actual build. My plan is to use an Evolution 26GX petrol motor as I have it sitting around and think it will be ideal for this big lass. I sat it on the plan tonight and can't decide if I want it in the more forward position shown so that it puts the prop in the correct place but makes it difficult to put a scale engine in because the carb is so for forward. The other photo shows it further back and I could get a scale radial in but would need to put a spacer in which might work especially if i need nose weight. Thoughts?

20200518_210649.jpg

20200518_210637.jpg

Still a bit of time before I need that sorted.

I got some more of the fuselage box done and i need to get the tail wheel and control rods through before closing it up. I am glad to see that Trevor managed to use 3/32 sheet to curve around the fuselage as I was not particularly excited about all that planking!

20200518_220256.jpg

Below are the photos of what is done already. I'd love to claim speedy building but this is how I got the parts. They are well built so I have no concerns and can copy the wing for the other side. I will probably change the aileron control to a RDS but I will decide when I start building the other wing

20200518_215438.jpg

20200518_215449.jpg

20200518_215500.jpg

Also, the cowl for this plane reminds you that it is not a slick little racer we are building!

20200518_215420.jpg

Keep the tips and ideas coming guys, I love to hear your thoughts.

Gary

Hi Martyn,

The spit is a frustrating one. I had it on the bench yesterday and there were just too many parts I wasn't happy with. I had rushed parts leading up to the birth of my son and a house move had not been kind on it. The wing will be a total restart but the fuselage is probably saveable but will need a lot of work. It had also got a little damp at some point so that made it look a bit grubby. I essentially just lost motivation due to damage and it not being at the standard I would accept now and not be totally happy with it (if we ever are totally happy with any of them!). What is funny though, I made the decision to long term postpone the build and when I was away having dinner, this happened

20200517_153736.jpg

A little bird had got into the garage and delivered its verdict......very apt

Gary

Edited By Gary Clark 1 on 18/05/2020 23:02:11

If budget allows Gary a radial all day long, if only for the sound. As for nose weight that may be required there is always that lump of a spinner nicely turned and balanced. I was contemplated a split wing on mine if possible, what are your thoughts about that?

Edited By fly-navy on 18/05/2020 23:08:12

Unfortunately I don't think my wife would accept me spending that amount on an engine for a plane. I'd also be too scared to fly it with that up front just incase!! Maybe one day I'll pluck up the courage and get one because the sound is unbeatable. In the meantime it will be a 3d printed one in front of the Evo!

I'd need to have a proper look at the plan tomorrow and see John but anything is possible. The dihedral makes it a tad more difficult but using something like the Sig heavy duty wing joiner and make a new bar that has the dihedral already in it. This would bolt onto the dihedral brace so essentially giving you a metal brace doubler. It's a big wing so would certainly help with transport.

Just an initial thought anyway

Gary

Edited By Gary Clark 1 on 18/05/2020 23:24:29

That's my thinking Martyn. My heart isn't in it and therefore I either won't go out to the garage because it becomes a drag or it will not be finished the way I want.

Some advice required guys. I got a prop hub amongst all the parts for this but I've come across an issue. The hole is bored for a glow engine and too small for the gas one I'm going to use. Metal work is something I know little about or very equipped to do anything with so does anyone know what is best to do here? Can I order them with a larger mounting hole and thread?

20200519_112403.jpg

20200519_112423.jpg

It looks like it simply needs drilling out to the correct clearance size and tapping to the same thread as the engine.

Have you no engineering friends that could do this for you? most clubs have one or two members that have lathes and "skills"

You could probably buy one already tapped from somebody like Just Engines.

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny. Unfortunately I haven't joined any of the local clubs yet as I moved to Norfolk late summer last year. I can fly at the weekends T the military base here but need to sort a club out. I'll have a look on just engines and see what I can get.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks Danny. Unfortunately I haven't joined any of the local clubs yet as I moved to Norfolk late summer last year. I can fly at the weekends T the military base here but need to sort a club out. I'll have a look on just engines and see what I can get.

Cheers

Gary

1344e34b-7f95-4568-8254-f6e777560da7.jpege5511187-0ecb-4c58-ac2a-6ef27f93ffa6.jpegc4a9f850-0f98-4fed-b64d-936b66b923cf.jpegA few pictures of the tail retract and where I have got to on my build. I cut the levers from thick brass sheet rather than the specified mild steel.

I have had a good look at Trevor's build log and very useful it has been. Started steaming some larger pieces for the fuselage but decided to go for the standard planking instead. I shan't finish sanding it all until I already to glass cloth as am bound to get hangar rash. As mentioned before the razor back and the rear of the cockpit area is a tricky bit of shaping. Good luck with that when you get there.

All of my tail surfaces have 1/64th ply let in around the perimeters. Adds very little weight but very ding proof.

dea591c9-99a4-4866-988c-73201732d8df.jpeg