Mini Cat by H Gilks

Hi all

Well with what’s been going on I decided to tidy up the garage, on the top rafters I have found a couple of models that I started. On one I have cut out Several formers and made a jig to cut the wing formers out. The drawing is with it, in not a great condition, but good enough to build the plane.

But I cannot find the magazine anywhere. I’m looking for a copy of the build notes. If anyone can copy, or scan in I would appreciate their help.

The Drawing is from the Radio Modeller back in January 1993.
thanks all.

Tom

Advert

I've built all the "cat" series. My Mini Cat is still going after 25 years. Just finished a Cat's Paw, which flew yesterday. Also have the Alley Cat and Street Cat, though I sold the Cat 25 years ago,but found the plan and will build another one in Winter to complete the collection.

There was a Cat 500 as well.

Harry Gilkes died back in the 90's.

catspaw_field (2).jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 31/05/2020 23:54:59

Hi Paul

like you I have built most of the Cat family over the years. I have made a couple electric, the .25 Version twice.
the model with the .40 Street Cat I must have built 4 of them over time.
my drawing in now in a very poor condition, but I keep looking at it, I have a set of wings on the beams, but no fuselage.
This mini cat will be electric, the previous model was IC and I had an issue of landing on long grass. with the exhaust pointing down, the firewall would come unstuck. Which eventually was it’s demise.

All great flyers and easy to build, but I have had C of G issues with most.

Thank you for the info and pictures.

Tom

There are some other of Harry Gilkes designs on Outerzone but not the Street Cat. Sly Cat looks interesting but Street Cat seems better if the plan can be found. CAT refers to Coventry Air Tech according to one article and the Sly Cat article gives a little more info about him.

Don't confuse the Gilkes Alley Cat with the Peter Miller RCMW Alley Cat which is different.

Harry Gilks was a member of our club , there were only 5 of us , so a close formed crew.Harry was a constant builder and he would build planes for the rest of us to try out for him and once sorted we would combat them to destruction !

Not PC in todays world but brilliant fun back then .

I remember the Orange drop , lemon Drop and the lime drop I dont know if they ever were "planned " Must try to find some photos .

I only have 2 gripes about Harry ,

One , he flew the wrong mode and 2, he always left the pins in the the models he gave us , which was ok till they needed repair . The good point was he hated CB radio , but It was a great excuse for crashes !!

Good memories .

Cheers

All three of those Pussies have that indefinable something that says pilot-friendly sports plane. And they look to be a pretty straight forward build too. The low-wingers look as if they would be a simple conversion to LiPo power if that is your preference.

If/when the plans are resurrected I'd be very tempted.

Edited By Mr Chinnery on 02/06/2020 08:15:05

I have an Alley Cat in storage for when my returning thumbs get back up to speed. It's a brilliant model. Mine has an Irvine 20 in it and is 'tex covered. I used to use it from a field I had permission to use that was a couple of miles from my house. I could strap it across my back with a bungee chord and cycle to the field. I'd get in half a dozen flights and go back the same way. I'd then spend hours getting exhaust goo out of my hair etc...

Brilliant little model; handled a reasonable wind and surpassingly precise. One day I'll build the Street Cat...

Before I could drive, I carried the Alley Cat to the field on my bike, ride one handed, or the model resting on the grip whilst I rode.

The Cat 10, I took to college sometimes and flew from the field in lunchtimes, also took it as a engineering talk, then flew it afterwards. Small, quiet, easy to start and impressed the onlookers that a model this small can fly.

As said, will built a new Cat .10 later, and a .25 Cat, when I can get some more wood. Have plenty of engines and rx', so need more servos and wood.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have nearly finished my Mini Cat, but I was struggling to make it electric. Not enough room for the LiPo etc.
But it’s all in now, so I’m happy with it. Moving surfaces to be added and then covering. While I was building the memories came back of the first one I built, which was IC. So having just been through the cupboards in the garage I have located a Thunder Tiger .15 which I bought years ago which I have never run. I’m now thinking of building another to accommodate that engine, and I’m sure the build will be more straightforward than this one.

Just note that there are several Alley Cat designs, so don't confuse the Harry Gilkes one ( related to all the other Cat designs here ) with the more recent Peter Miller Alley Cat RCMW Feb 2014 which is totally different. Sarik should have the plans for both but the Miller one is not on their website for some reason.