Slipstream Sbach 342 coming out of retirement?

As it was a non-flying day I was looking around the workshop scratching myself deciding what to do. My eyes alighted on a retired Slipstream Sbach 342 50cc covered in dust. Two thoughts came to mind. If I "bend" one of my 50-60cc electrics in the future would I have a replacement? Furthermore, is the airframe in good enough condition to refresh and convert to electric? In a past life she housed a MVVS50 up front and in her flying life no damage had been sustained.

Furthermore, if she is recoverable she could be a replacement given the current dearth of sensibly priced 50cc ARTFs and save me a few quid.

Just to whet my appetite I found a video clip of this aircraft for mine and your delectation!

**LINK**

So lets have a look.

p1060443.jpg

Looks pretty sound. Missing the tail wheel assembly though.

p1060444.jpg

Advert

Turning to the business end. There is a lot of extra wood/bolt/strengthening to the motor box that needs removing/tidying up. There is not the vibration from an electric motor compared to I/C.

p1060448.jpg

The cowl is in a reasonable condition apart from the cutout at the bottom of he cowl that was used for the silencer.

p1060449.jpg

I am thinking of keeping the cutout for ventilation purposes, but also to use a metal gauze to "fill in" to make it look like a large radiator. Any favourite ways if attaching gauze to he cowl? any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks for the suggestions, Cymaz & Andrew. Not sure which way I will go yet. I will quite likely go the electric route in any event as I am happy with the performance of my other 60cc size conversions.

Thanks for the photo, Paul. Interesting that they are still around in use. I will be fitting in the job on it between flying days (Monday & Tuesday look good at the moment) , therefore I guess it will be a slow progress re-conditioning.

I had and hour or so to play with therefore I decided to make a start on the cowl. The top half is reasonably ok which meant I am going to spray the black underside first as that's a bit rough. Masked up first after a rub down with fine wet & dry.

p1060454.jpg

All sprayed and put aside to dry and harden before doing a bit on the white on the top. A bit of seepage, but I will address that later on.

p1060456.jpg

As I am going for lightness for the electric conversion I found a suitable C/F undercarriage in my spares to replace the original dural one. Yup I know it is Extra 300 style and not Sbach shape, but it's going to have to do.

p1060455.jpg

Hopefully some more progress later in the week as tomorrow & Tuesday look like flying days.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 14/06/2020 14:55:36

• 2 weeks later...

There are some small splits in the spats that need repairing. I am using my tried and tested method of fibre glass cloth.

p1060483.jpg

p1060484.jpg

Left aside to dry ready to rub down and spray paint. I am thinking of using the red that matches the film covering. I am also going to next remove the U/C and refit a G/F version and refit the wheels.

Slow progress. Anyway I trimmed off the surplus GF and wet/dry sanded the spats.

p1060485.jpg

Now for non-I/C applications I really like to use Holts auto gloss colours as the finish looks really good. Therefore out came the red paint to spray the spats.

p1060487.jpg

Really pleased with the finish. Set aside to dry before adding some spare decals. Then I am ready to put her all back together and then decide what to do. I did think I might put some electric gear in her, but I already have one active 60cc Sbach 342 which is a Goldwing model. I know for a fact the SlipStream Sbach 342 is a great flyer and deserves some regular use. It is now ready to have I/C or electric applications added. I am debating putting her on ebay at some point as I am running out of "shop" space. It will be a wrench, but it may come to it. More pictures when I have finished the final details.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 03/07/2020 15:24:03